LED dash problems

17yrsofcollege

...Ohhh Boy
Established Member
:fm:
I have replaced all of the bulbs in the dash and I never even come close to a perfect "LED" look.

There just isn't enough light output!
I tried literally like 4 diff. types of bulbs:

I almost have it with a wierd combination of 5 led bulbs, super high intensity $5.00 bulbs but the center bulb only shines decently if I put the stock filament bulb back ( stupid green and blue look )

I see that there is a built in refractor array under this spot in the dash assembly.

Do you folks have a decent bulb idea here, otherwise I'm going back to green light and I dont want to.

I tried ALL ofthese bulb styles:

This stupid albeit cool mod has cost me like $100 so far LOL

Any help is realllllllly appreciated

194ledr.jpg

42D%20194%20LED%20bulbs.jpg

5-led-white-t10-car-bulbs.jpg

image(243).jpg

LDC2335

Established Member
not sure what to do, i expected a slight increase in brightness just because the stock bulbs were 12 years old, but id say they are about the same, however the color is way cooler and crisper than stock. and they match my new radio, so ill live with it.. you could always get these, i think i might evenyually, you can customize them and even get 2 1/16" gauges to match or you could always get blue incandesent bulbs instead of leds, incandesent tend to put out more light, and that would give you the color you want.

Ford Gauge Glow Dials and Custom Gauges by SpeedHut

E-FD-MST-10-NEW.gif

these are pretty intense, 12 leds in each bulb, probably a tight fit though.

Last edited:

17yrsofcollege

...Ohhh Boy
Established Member
Thanks for your ideas

I also see this:

Dont like indiglo though

GRPGT2034-701.jpg

or realllly nice but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:

p1000052_lg.jpg
:coolman:

LDC2335

Established Member
i have the ones in the second pic and its not bad but its not any brighter than stock, i was trying to do it cheap, and those were 10 for 10 bucks, so for the price im happy, but i still wish they were brighter.

crazycarlo

Established Member
I bought the ones from the 2nd pic at pepboys for my liscense plate lights. Half the ones I bought didnt work. So Im gonna get some of the same kind i have for the dash. Eventually Ill have LEDS in all my car lighting.

98LazerRedCobra

lazer red
Established Member
i wanna do this led mod but is it hard 2 can i make blue i would like it red do any one can help me out with a how to

97riocobra2

Established Member
I replaced mine a few weeks ago, and it was pretty dissapointing. I barely had any light output at all. At least I don't drive it at night much.

crazycarlo

Established Member
i bought mine from superbrightleds.com get the ones in the writeup. Mine are so bright I can tell there on if i turn them on during a bright day.

98LazerRedCobra

lazer red
Established Member
i bought mine from superbrightleds.com get the ones in the writeup. Mine are so bright I can tell there on if i turn them on during a bright day.
dam bro how much and which ones did u get how long did it take them 2 get 2 u also did u do the a c panel how many in total u need

crazycarlo

Established Member
i bought the WLED-X5's If i remember correctly it took about a week to get here. I think I bought 7 of them.

crazycarlo

Established Member
its 5 for the gauge cluster and two for the HVAC. yes I did mine. Its 7 total and they are the same ones.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
Just spoke with a guy at Super Bright LED's who was super helpful about the fact that I'm getting hot spots of too much light and the light is too blue with the cool white WLED-x5...

wled-x5.jpg

He explained that the natural white version of that bulb is a much more pure white and will be back in stock in around a week or so. That will fix the problem I'm having where my dash is too blue and almost purple which doesn't match my Alpine head unit's lighter blue color or my clock with the Roscolux filter on it. (8807 Roscolux Swatch Book, Small Sampler of Almost Every Filter.)

What he did mention which also pertains to the original poster's wanting more light output is that their high output wedge lights are brighter and have a more pure white color to them.

SO, I just ordered both different types of their high output wedge bulb that will work for us to see which one is best, I got these...

wled-xhp5.jpg

wled-whp6.jpg

They should arrive next week, I'll let you know how they are :)

Users who are viewing this thread