LED Cluster Bulbs!!

LupercioStang

Lil Boy with Big Wheels
Established Member
I was looking at different threads about putting switching out there Cluster bulbs and the bulbs for the A/C, but I've noticed that most of the time it changes the stock teal glow to a more blue glow, I understand it depends of the LED color you get but has anyone changed out the cluster bulbs and still kept the teal color? I like the stock color thats why I'm trying to keep it and I'm trying to avoid the blue. Any suggestions? Thanks.:rockon:

SVT Rob

Established Member
Get the white bulbs. Cool White will make a bluish glow, and obviously blue bulbs will make a darker blue. Standard white should keep the stock teal color.

Rob

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
its the film on the cluster that makes it green. yellow-ish standard 194 bulb+blue film = Green. the clear white is what makes it the "true" blue color. years ago someone experimented with diffrent bulbs, but i cant remember the outcome of them all. if you search for the thread its here somewhere in the SN section. it was several pages long

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Get the white bulbs. Cool White will make a bluish glow, and obviously blue bulbs will make a darker blue. Standard white should keep the stock teal color.

Rob

This is INCORRECT

Or get the green color

This would make it dark green.

If you want to keep a factoryish looking color, you need YELLOW bulbs.

White bulbs give you blue.

You kind of have to look at a color wheel. The film in the gauge panel is blue..
The factory incandescent bulbs actually emit a yellowish color, giving you green backlighting.

Finding a bulb that matches that color will give you the best results..

LupercioStang

Lil Boy with Big Wheels
Established Member
This is INCORRECT

You kind of have to look at a color wheel. The film in the gauge panel is blue..
The factory incandescent bulbs actually emit a yellowish color, giving you green backlighting.

Makes sense. Hopefully if I get some yellow LEDs it will achieve that teal look. I'm trying to change them out asap cause I'm about to order some SVT speedhut gauges and want them to match, but don't know what color I'm going to end up with.

LupercioStang

Lil Boy with Big Wheels
Established Member
Yeah I would think a slight yellowish color bulb would be what you need...something like a stock color

Yeah I'm probably going to try this first, & if it comes out crappy, I'll probably just end up getting the white leds for the blue look if I can't achieve the stock color I'm trying to get.

LupercioStang

Lil Boy with Big Wheels
Established Member
its the film on the cluster that makes it green. yellow-ish standard 194 bulb+blue film = Green. the clear white is what makes it the "true" blue color. years ago someone experimented with diffrent bulbs, but i cant remember the outcome of them all. if you search for the thread its here somewhere in the SN section. it was several pages long

Thank you! I need to look for that thread! I just don't want get a yellow led bulb and then it comes out super green, cause that teal is what I'm shooting for. but I'll definitely look for that thread thank you!

mustangsvt281

Established Member
This is INCORRECT

+1 i got the cool white bulbs and it changed it to a blue color. i love it though

Mustang Matt

Established Member
You need something with warm white if you want to keep the teal look.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/miniature-wedge-base/194/

The perfect bulb would be this one:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...ed-bulb-5-smd-led-wedge-base-with-socket/841/

You might call them and see if they'll make you a custom order for warm white.

If you order some other bulb, you'll need to get sockets:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...94t3-14-twist-lock-wedge-base-socket/704/962/

If you order blue or green the gauges will be blue or green but you'll lose the red lines on the gauges. The needles still light up.

On the relative intensity, 2.5 is plenty bright and you might even dim it a bit.

If you search for old posts I've made you can find photos of the green bulbs and I also have some of a white LED ribbon.

LupercioStang

Lil Boy with Big Wheels
Established Member
You need something with warm white if you want to keep the teal look.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/miniature-wedge-base/194/

The perfect bulb would be this one:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...ed-bulb-5-smd-led-wedge-base-with-socket/841/

You might call them and see if they'll make you a custom order for warm white.

If you order some other bulb, you'll need to get sockets:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...94t3-14-twist-lock-wedge-base-socket/704/962/

If you order blue or green the gauges will be blue or green but you'll lose the red lines on the gauges. The needles still light up.

On the relative intensity, 2.5 is plenty bright and you might even dim it a bit.

If you search for old posts I've made you can find photos of the green bulbs and I also have some of a white LED ribbon.

Thanks alot!!! I apperciate that. So you're saying I need the sockets as well? warm white does sound like it would do a better job. What are the differences between the first two links?

Mustang Matt

Established Member
The first link is all the bulbs that should fit in a 194 socket.

The 2nd is a 5 way LED "bulb" (with the socket) that fits perfectly but they don't offer it in warm white. I'm not sure why. I'd call or email them and ask them if you can order five of them in warm white color.

If so they are exactly what you want.

If not, look through that first link for stuff they offer in warm white, some of them probably wouldn't fit so well but if you can find something that looks like it would fit in a bulb spot it might do the trick.

LupercioStang

Lil Boy with Big Wheels
Established Member
The first link is all the bulbs that should fit in a 194 socket.

The 2nd is a 5 way LED "bulb" (with the socket) that fits perfectly but they don't offer it in warm white. I'm not sure why. I'd call or email them and ask them if you can order five of them in warm white color.

If so they are exactly what you want.

If not, look through that first link for stuff they offer in warm white, some of them probably wouldn't fit so well but if you can find something that looks like it would fit in a bulb spot it might do the trick.

194 LED Bulb - 5 LED Wide Angle Wedge Base | Miniature Wedge Base LEDs | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

Would these work?

Knightridersvt

Established Member
i did it in my 96 with the natural white and it gave me a bluish tint it diff brightin the lights but not as much as u would think and ur stock sockets work u dont have to order those they fit rite in them if i new how to post pics id show ya

Users who are viewing this thread