Least drone

twhitey

Established Member
I keep reading exhaust thats the loudest or deepest. I am currently running a Mac pro chamber and 3 inch mac catback. I am going to install hooker long tubes and thinking about adding a catted mid pipe to get rid of the drone at 80mph. I had someone tell me its the catback I need to get rid it to get away from the drone.
If my spelling is wrong I am sorry I goggled the word and could not find a webster approved answer

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
i have a mac catback and an o/r x on my gt and the drone was worse when i had the catted x on it.. :shrug:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I have no drone at all with my offroad H and Flowmaster catback.

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
I have no drone at all with my offroad H and Flowmaster catback.

Thats a first lol. As far as least drone goes i think a magnaflow c/b has the least amount of drone. Since your adding lt's i think it mellows out the exhaust note so they may help with drone. Oh prochamber's also reduce drone!

SlowSVT

Established Member
The 3" exhaust is partially responsible for the drone due to the lower resonance frequency (lower exhaust velocity) of the exhaust. A 2 1/2" system will scavenge the exhaust better and raise the sound frequency of the system.

twhitey

Established Member
This is my 3rd cobra, the first had an off road h and flows there was a lot of noise at all times with that set up. My 2nd had an off road x and borlas I couldnt hear myself think at anything above idle.
the Mac pro chamber added a little to the drone at 80mph from the stock mid pipe but it was still there. I like the overall sound I just wish it was a little quieter at highway speeds. Damn is that a sign I am getting old?

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
Thats a first lol. As far as least drone goes i think a magnaflow c/b has the least amount of drone. Since your adding lt's i think it mellows out the exhaust note so they may help with drone. Oh prochamber's also reduce drone!

hmmm.. I was backwards. I thought Prochambers added to the drone amount?

SLPRCTM

Established Member
I jus went through this disaster... It all started with installing a catted Bassani x-pipe with my Borla cat-back. Droned like mad. Tryed some Corsa "red" mufflers. Helped but still droned and moved the drone slightly down in the rpm range. Replaced the x-pipe with a catted Magnaflow x-pipe. Better but still droned. Built a custom cat-back with the dual mode mufflers from Ford Racing from the FR-500 exhaust with the second "x" after the mufflers. Minimal drone and very nice sound. Quiet will driving untill you step on it and the baffle in the muffler opens. When you enlarge the exhaust piping, you change the sound wave. This is what gives you the drone. Try some of those perforated exhaust cones or a couple resonators after the cats and before the mufflers. Should help a bit.

skidad62

Established Member
I had Bassani catted x pipe with Borla catback and had terrible drone - sold the Borla a week later. Running a Magnaflow catback now and the drone is better but definitely still there... removed the cats from my Bassani X and now it's louder but a bit less drone.

Thinking of swapping the Magnaflows out for a Bassani catback... any feedback anyone?

BlackBeauty44

Snake bitten
Established Member
Im sorry fellas but the drone is music to my ears I LOVE IT!!!! I heard the magnaflow catted x and cat back has the least amount of drone.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Drone....

I have the factory H, and added the 3" S.S. JBA Catback, sounds deep and burly except from 67 - 77 Mph in 6th gear, where it drones and drives me a little mad, 1950- 2125 Rpm. At 80 Mph in 6th, it clears up, I gotta be careful or my licence will also clear out....

moonltgold

I've had drone with Bassani, Flowmaster, SLP, with Mag catted X and Bassani catted X combos on my various Stangs and Cobras. I can honestly say that the only combo I never had drone with was the Mag catted X, Mag catback, and Bassani baffles in the tip. That combo was smooth and reasonably quiet until around 3,000 rpm and then everything woke up. It was nice on the freeway, I could hear the radio no problem.

twhitey

Established Member
Thats what I was looking for.
I am going to add hooker long tubes and an x pipe with high flow cats then look around for a new catback.

Fireguy615

Mom! The Meatloaf!
Established Member
I've had drone with Bassani, Flowmaster, SLP, with Mag catted X and Bassani catted X combos on my various Stangs and Cobras. I can honestly say that the only combo I never had drone with was the Mag catted X, Mag catback, and Bassani baffles in the tip. That combo was smooth and reasonably quiet until around 3,000 rpm and then everything woke up. It was nice on the freeway, I could hear the radio no problem.

+1, probably the only combo that knocks down most of the drone will be the Maggie setup with cats and baffles. Drone is just something we all have to live with. Even my MRT catted H with Super 44's drone at/around 2000-2500 RPMs. So whether chambered mufflers or not, it's just a fact with these cars.

Spade

Established Member
Before the MAC LT the drone wasnt to bad. After the LT it's insane in 5th. I'm looking to get a bit quieter without the drone, but I really like the hollow sound of flowmaster and MAC. The truck sound doesnt do it for me.

BTW, before the LT I had an O/R X-pipe with the 3" MAC cat-back and now I have a O/R H-pipe with the 3" MAC.

03DOHC

Established Member
I can honestly say that the only combo I never had drone with was the Mag catted X, Mag catback, and Bassani baffles in the tip. That combo was smooth and reasonably quiet until around 3,000 rpm and then everything woke up. It was nice on the freeway, I could hear the radio no problem.
That was the setup I ran for a long time. I wrapped the hell out of my baffles with fiberglass exhaust packing and it knocked the sound down even further.

Spade

Established Member
I installed a 2.5 flowmaster catback and it's like night and day. Much better with the flows.

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
I jus went through this disaster... It all started with installing a catted Bassani x-pipe with my Borla cat-back. Droned like mad. Tryed some Corsa "red" mufflers. Helped but still droned and moved the drone slightly down in the rpm range. Replaced the x-pipe with a catted Magnaflow x-pipe. Better but still droned. Built a custom cat-back with the dual mode mufflers from Ford Racing from the FR-500 exhaust with the second "x" after the mufflers. Minimal drone and very nice sound. Quiet will driving untill you step on it and the baffle in the muffler opens. When you enlarge the exhaust piping, you change the sound wave. This is what gives you the drone. Try some of those perforated exhaust cones or a couple resonators after the cats and before the mufflers. Should help a bit.

Do you have any pics of your custom catback? I would love to see how you put it together.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread