Least and most favorite part of the Academy (LEO)

03machme

go on and mach me
Established Member
well guys i did it!!! I passed TCLEOSE and graduate the Academy this Friday and looking back i got to wondering how my academy compared so i was wondering what is your favorite and least favorite part of the academy? i would have to say my favorite was the week of driving school just because you never get to tear up a car like that as much without having to pay for it. and by far least favorite was getting sprayed with OC last Friday. so lets her it!

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
O.C. and Taser was my least favorite.

I enjoyed the auto and boat course. But I really liked the Krav Maga and Defense Tactics training.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Loved driving with the old 350 LT powered Caprices. We did our high speed training on the runways at Fort Pickett. Those bitches would flat out shit'it 'n get'it. That was my favorite part. Least favorite part was sitting the classroom hours and hours waiting to get to the practicals outside.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
I kinda liked the O.C. and Taser. :shrug: More so watching other peoples reactions to exposures though. :lol1: I'm an instructor for Taser now and can't count the number of times i've ridden the bull. I wouldn't ask anyone to do something I'm not willing to do myself.

The worst part had to be "diversity training". The material was as sterile as could be and the instructor was even worse. 40 hours I'll never get back. :nonono:

00streetfighter

Established Member
EVOC (driving) was by far the best, we had a full on track and got to get into a simulated pursuit.. Of course graduation was pretty badass too! lol. The worst part for me.. OC ftw. The gas house sucked but at least it was instant on instant off. We also had a pretty cool "tire house" used for tactical firearms training which was pretty fun.

00streetfighter

Established Member
The worst part had to be "diversity training". The material was as sterile as could be and the instructor was even worse. 40 hours I'll never get back. :nonono:

I know they don't teach it in the academy, but try 32 hours of CIT (Crisis Intervention Training).... Ask me how much fun it was... :nonono:

03machme

go on and mach me
Established Member
I know they don't teach it in the academy, but try 32 hours of CIT (Crisis Intervention Training).... Ask me how much fun it was... :nonono:

We had 32hrs of that in the academy, worst classroom subject for me was prolly spanish because our teacher had to look up words I'm her spanish to english dictionary lol

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
First of all congrats on passing the TECLOSE exam and pending graduation. That is not an easy test.
As some of you might know the DPS Academy is one of the toughest, if not the toughest State Police Academy's in the nation. There were a lot of prior military folks that went through and said it was a lot tougher than the military. It was six months of hell.
I really didn't enjoy any of it, I guess because of several of the instructors who pretty much screwed it up for everyone. Plus, this was my second police academy.
Best part was graduation day!

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member

Oh I know exactly what you're talkin' bout! 40 hrs of CIT I got "chosen" to attend. It was put on by our local Mental health board and really did not apply much to our role in a mental health crisis situation as police officers. Was full of cops AND mental health workers, talk about a difference in opinion on things. I was in class with an officer who was involved in an OIS with a mental who attacked him with a knife. One of the mental health workers asked why he shot him...class nearly ended early that day. :bash:

We then did "ride a longs" with case workers to visit mental health patients in their homes. So many of those people are on the brink of disaster.

Users who are viewing this thread