Lean at tip in and under load.

99cobrasvt

Established Member
Hi,
I have an 04 Cobra its had 27000 miles. I bought it in January. It has a built motor. Car wasnt driven much since the engine rebuild. It had a rich tune for break in. Guy didnt drive it at all. He had it in storage for 2 years. My issue is I brought it to my tuner and he said it had a feul issue.
It goes lean at tip in and under load. In neutral if I give it slow revs it will not bog but still goes lean. If I trap it to the floor for a sec it goes lean pegs my guage and bogs Ifi I drive it it's always 13-15 af as soon as I push on it a little it pegs at 17. Car stumbles bad. Cant go Into boost because of it going lean. I have new plugs Ngk tr6 gapped at .28 I changed the feul filter and installed the Pprv delete and the new pumps. It was like this since I got it. I have an X4 but dont know much about data logging. I have a code po243 waste gate turbocharger solenoid a. Also if I drive it around a bit I will get both rich codes po 172 and po 175.

car has 2.3 Whipple make 18lbs of boost
Jlt high boost intake
Sct 2600
Pprv delete
Dw 300 pumps
KB boosta pump
60 lbs injectors
Egr deleted
Bbk 65 mm throttle body
Bbk catless xipe
Borla atacs
I just Installed a new feul filter and a new feul rail pressure sensor. I have a new set of Injectors to go in it. They are 78lbs.

I will try and show some pics of feul trims at idle if it would help! Any ideas??

Thanks guys.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Have you double checked the MAF sensor? Clean, clocked correctly...etc.

99cobrasvt

Established Member
Have you double checked the MAF sensor? Clean, clocked correctly...etc.
I cleaned the maf with Maf cleaner it's a new filter I was thinking maybe there was too much oil from Jlt. No change. And clocking well it's a Sct 2600 in a High boost Intake the arrow is the right way. Maybe maf isnt good ? I'm not sure how old it is. Like I said I'm getting lean codes po 172 po175 I reset them go for a drive and they are right back.

99cobrasvt

Established Member
I'd find a new tuner. It sounds like the tune needs to be started over.
Maybe yes. Hard here hes 3 hours away. There isnt many tuners. He tuned alot of these cars though and did this one 5 years ago with this set up.i have good feul pressure. He said it's a feul issue maybe injector leaking. I'm just wondering some advice.

olympic

Established Member
I live in Saskatchewan and was in a similar situation when I bought my Cobra. Nearest tuner was 350km away and not really interested in tuning a car they didn't build. I ended up getting it email tuned by Kevin Dunn ("04 Sleeper" here on the forum) and couldn't be happier. Car runs perfect! Email tunes take some time and effort on your part but nothing too difficult. Best way to reach Kevin is by email 04sleeper at live.com.

PS- talk to your tuner but I believe those DW300 pumps are not recommended for a returnless fuel system and can cause issues. Ford GT supercar pumps are about the best pumps available for returnless and can support up to 700whp.

99cobrasvt

Established Member
Olympic I just switched those out was doing it with the stock pumps and boosta pump I know a couple a people run them with no issues it's a kit from them for the 03 04 Cobra plug and play. Think it's a tuning issue ? I ordered a new Maf the same as what I have so I could just switch it out. I'd like to install the Injectors then maybe that's an idea! I did hear of him! Thanks.

If it was in the tune I'd be happy I'm just worried there is something wrong and its hundreds for a dyno tune the 3 hour drive then come back like last time car with issues.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Maybe yes. Hard here hes 3 hours away. There isnt many tuners. He tuned alot of these cars though and did this one 5 years ago with this set up.i have good feul pressure. He said it's a feul issue maybe injector leaking. I'm just wondering some advice.

Just because he did it 5 years ago doesn't mean he did it right. Remote tuning is so common nowadays that not being able to find a good tuner really isn't a valid argument.

If it was a leaky injector there would be other symptoms. Long cranking times because of needing to build pressure up would be one to watch for.

I would reach out to one of the remote tuners on here before spending more money on parts you probably don't need.

99cobrasvt

Established Member
Just because he did it 5 years ago doesn't mean he did it right. Remote tuning is so common nowadays that not being able to find a good tuner really isn't a valid argument.

If it was a leaky injector there would be other symptoms. Long cranking times because of needing to build pressure up would be one to watch for.

I would reach out to one of the remote tuners on here before spending more money on

99cobrasvt

Established Member
Agreed I emailed a tuner on here. Just was wondering if maybe theres a mechanical issue I hope it is tuning. I figured maybe someone had an issue like that and it was mechanical. I dont wana throw parts at it for nothing.

olympic

Established Member
P0243 is likely normal since you have a whipple and the solenoid was probably removed. This code can be turned off in the tune. P0172 and 175 could be due to the "rich" tune but I'm not sure. Fuel pumps need to be accounted for in the tune. If you went from stock pumps to the DW300's without a tune revision you're likely having fuel pressure issues. Can you monitor fuel pressure from the X4 while driving and see if it's doing anything unusual?

I'd highly recommend learning to datalog, otherwise you'll be throwing parts at it forever. Your tuner should have already uploaded a config file to your X4 or I can email you mine if you need one. To log air/fuel you're gauge needs an analog output and you need a special firewire cable from SCT to connect it to your X4. Then you can post some logs here and we can give you some more informed advice on what may be going on.

99cobrasvt

Established Member
P0243 is likely normal since you have a whipple and the solenoid was probably removed. This code can be turned off in the tune. P0172 and 175 could be due to the "rich" tune but I'm not sure. Fuel pumps need to be accounted for in the tune. If you went from stock pumps to the DW300's without a tune revision you're likely having fuel pressure issues. Can you monitor fuel pressure from the X4 while driving and see if it's doing anything unusual?

I'd highly recommend learning to datalog, otherwise you'll be throwing parts at it forever. Your tuner should have already uploaded a config file to your X4 or I can email you mine if you need one. To log air/fuel you're gauge needs an analog output and you need a special firewire cable from SCT to connect it to your X4. Then you can post some logs here and we can give you some more informed advice on what may be going on.
Ok so I have an autometer AF guage I doubt it would have an output on the back is that what your referring too. My Sct needs a manual guage it cant do it ?

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
First thing you need to do is download SCT live link 2 to your laptop. Install it and get it communicating with your XCAL4 handheld. Once that is done. Get on YouTube and start watching video / Google how to datalog with SCT live link 2.Once you figure out how to datalog the important parameters of the car turn your attention to getting your wideband AF connected to your XCAL4 so that too can be included in your data logging. End goal is to get everything datalogging including the wideband.

Then you can pick your tuner of choice. They will send you a base tune. You will install it, start the car, datalog, save the datalog, send the datalog to your tuner. They will be able to look at the datalog you send them and revise the tune. You will keep doing this back and forth for a while until the car runs well. If there is anything mechanically wrong with the car they can help you troubleshoot. Takes some time to do it this way but the end result is worth it.

Or do what I did.... Buy the software and learn to tune yourself.

99cobrasvt

Established Member
First thing you need to do is download SCT live link 2 to your laptop. Install it and get it communicating with your XCAL4 handheld. Once that is done. Get on YouTube and start watching video / Google how to datalog with SCT live link 2.Once you figure out how to datalog the important parameters of the car turn your attention to getting your wideband AF connected to your XCAL4 so that too can be included in your data logging. End goal is to get everything datalogging including the wideband.

Then you can pick your tuner of choice. They will send you a base tune. You will install it, start the car, datalog, save the datalog, send the datalog to your tuner. They will be able to look at the datalog you send them and revise the tune. You will keep doing this back and forth for a while until the car runs well. If there is anything mechanically wrong with the car they can help you troubleshoot. Takes some time to do it this way but the end result is worth it.

Or do what I did.... Buy the software and learn to tune yourself.
Thanks makes sense!

olympic

Established Member
Ok so I have an autometer AF guage I doubt it would have an output on the back is that what your referring too. My Sct needs a manual guage it cant do it ?

I don't know which gauge you have but it may have an analog output. It's usually just 2 extra wires tucked into the gauge harness. Here's some instructions I googled that show an Autometer gauge with outputs (blue/black) for datalogging: https://www.autometer.com/media/manual/2650-1143.pdf

You need to connect your wideband directly to the x4 (through the outputs on the gauge and the firewire cable from SCT) because it can not access the wideband signal through the OBD2 port.

Canuck03SVT

Established Member
Hi,
I have an 04 Cobra its had 27000 miles. I bought it in January. It has a built motor. Car wasnt driven much since the engine rebuild. It had a rich tune for break in. Guy didnt drive it at all. He had it in storage for 2 years. My issue is I brought it to my tuner and he said it had a feul issue.
It goes lean at tip in and under load. In neutral if I give it slow revs it will not bog but still goes lean. If I trap it to the floor for a sec it goes lean pegs my guage and bogs Ifi I drive it it's always 13-15 af as soon as I push on it a little it pegs at 17. Car stumbles bad. Cant go Into boost because of it going lean. I have new plugs Ngk tr6 gapped at .28 I changed the feul filter and installed the Pprv delete and the new pumps. It was like this since I got it. I have an X4 but dont know much about data logging. I have a code po243 waste gate turbocharger solenoid a. Also if I drive it around a bit I will get both rich codes po 172 and po 175.

car has 2.3 Whipple make 18lbs of boost
Jlt high boost intake
Sct 2600
Pprv delete
Dw 300 pumps
KB boosta pump
60 lbs injectors
Egr deleted
Bbk 65 mm throttle body
Bbk catless xipe
Borla atacs
I just Installed a new feul filter and a new feul rail pressure sensor. I have a new set of Injectors to go in it. They are 78lbs.

I will try and show some pics of feul trims at idle if it would help! Any ideas??

Thanks guys.

I'm assuming you took it to Brett at Performance Dyno? Never, ever go back there.

Wait until the border opens up and take it to Pete at Performance Dyno in NH. He's a wizard with these cars.

99cobrasvt

Established Member
Yah just checked what you sent says my gauge has 2 output wires ! Thanks I didnt know that. I emailed Kevin and will go from there need to switch out my injectors first! Thanks !
I don't know which gauge you have but it may have an analog output. It's usually just 2 extra wires tucked into the gauge harness. Here's some instructions I googled that show an Autometer gauge with outputs (blue/black) for datalogging: https://www.autometer.com/media/manual/2650-1143.pdf

You need to connect your wideband directly to the x4 (through the outputs on the gauge and the firewire cable from SCT) because it can not access the wideband signal through the OBD2 port.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Just an update. I put a Fore return fuel system on the care along with new Injectors. I had Kevin Dunn tune the car and it works awesome! Drives like stock idles and starts the same. Works great couldn't be more happy! Thanks guys!

Good to hear, so obviously something in the old fuel system was not jiving. With these cars it's just best to go return. It takes so many variables out of the equation.

Users who are viewing this thread