leaky differential

97 horse snake

Established Member
i recently parked my cobra in the garage for about a week and noticed a puddle on the ground underneath the differential. how bad is this? what should i do about it? how much will it cost me to fix?

SNK BITN

Established Member
The gasket is probably ripped. It is very easy to replace, just remove the diffcover, let the fluid drip out to a drip pan, replace gasket and torque down the diff cover. Wipe it clean and try to pinpoint exactly where its leaking from.

94CobraPace

Established Member
Crawl under and check the fluid level on the rear end. There is a 3/8" square plug,(near where the drive shaft connects) just remove and stick you finger in to see if you can touch the fluid, if not use that same hole to add some gear oil. The leak could have been caused by someone using a floor jack on the pumpkin and bent the cover, which is aluminum, causing it to leak. If it is good on the fluid, it should be OK to drive, just keep an eye on it & get the leak fixed soon.

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
they dont come stock with a gasket, only rtv, you can go out and buy a gasket and rtv on that, thats what I did to mine

97 horse snake

Established Member
i had the gears swapped out for 3.73's back in october. do shops usually put a gasket in when putting everything back together? or do you think they cheaped out on me?

SNK BITN

Established Member
Did you buy or did they provide you with a gasket kit? RTV isnt really a cheap out if thats all they used, it works quite well.

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
when I had my gears changed they didnt put a gasket back in, and a while after it started leaking, so I felt better putting a gasket in there and rtving it in there

Users who are viewing this thread