Leaking differential?

jmichalicek

Established Member
It looks like the rear end on my Cobra may have sprung a little leak. She's sitting in the driveway until I've got a bit of spare cash and then I'll get the car over to my mechanic.

Assuming I'm right on this and it needs a rebuild or replacement, anyone have any suggestions on specific parts/kits I should have him use or relatively inexpensive extras to beef it up a bit that should be done while it's apart anyway? The gears have already been swapped (I guess I should have just had it rebuilt when I had that done...), so no need to do that.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
check the Rear mail seal on the forward side of the dif where the DS enters

thats where mine is leaking

jmichalicek

Established Member
Good call, I'll look into that. My driveway is a stupidly steep hill, so I can't even safely get under the car to look at it currently. On the front of the differential makes sense from what oil splatter I can see, though.

It drips straight down with the car just sitting and has a lot of spray back towards the rear from wind while driving (before I caught the leak) and some spray forwards towards the front but not enough to be coming from up at the engine and blowing back.

It's a mail seal or main seal? I've never heard of a mail seal and can't find it with some searching to make sure I know what to look for(and some googling suggests mail is a common typo of main), but if you've seen any of my infrequent posts you know I'm about as far from an expert as you'll find in someone who has any interest in this stuff.

Last edited:

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
It's called the pinion seal. I just changed mine a few weekends back. Easy 45min. job on jack stands.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
^^ yes pinion seal lol

forgive me i was studying for an anatomy exam at the time lol

jmichalicek

Established Member
Thanks guys. It's no problem, I appreciate the help. I just know I don't know wtf I'm talking about, so wanted to double check when it wasn't immediately clear to me.

Users who are viewing this thread