Leaking coolant at oil cooler

04GTMustang

Established Member
Hey guys,

Noticed a few days ago there was some fluid leaking under my car. It's been put away for the winter, and we recently had some absolutely frigid weather here, as low as -10 F. I noticed the fluid right after this cold blast.

Finally did some preliminary diagnosing, and it appears to be coolant. Noticed the radiator reservoir is low. The coolant is leaking right by were the oil filter is, and I got under the car to find this:
20220126_153150_50.jpg

It appears as if its either leaking from that spot just under the filter, or somewhere above and accumulating there. Probably have lost about half a quart so far over two weeks. Very slow trickle.

I was reading that there are a series of gaskets that make up this fitting, so I wanted to know if you guys thought it was likely due to something loose and with the cold weather and contracting metals, it just sprung a leak, or if something is cracked and needs replacement? Car has 5 year old Motorcraft gold fluid in it. I've previously tightened that fitting inside of where the oil filter screws on last year back to its 55 ft lb spec when it was leaking oil.

I wanted to get some parts together so I'm ready for spring. Hopefully it's a simple fix but if the whole oil cooler assembly needs replacement, do you recommend the delete kit and filter relocation or replace with OEM?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
When the warm weather comes, remove filter and tighten the large 1/2" allen bolt that the filter screws onto.

Actually, that may not help. Mine was leaking oil when that fixed it.

04GTMustang

Established Member
When the warm weather comes, remove filter and tighten the large 1/2" allen bolt that the filter screws onto.

Actually, that may not help. Mine was leaking oil when that fixed it.

Yeah I've tried that before when I had a very slow oil leak and it solved it, this seems to be a different spot. The oil was leaking at the junction of the oil cooler to the motor, this seems to be further outwards towards the filter.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I'd have to imagine those o-rings need replacing and the cold has done them in. I believe there have a been a few posts on the part numbers needed to replace all the o-rings. Just be real careful you get the correct gasket between the block and the cooler. Some of the parts stores have the numbers mixed up and at a glance they look the same

I've had a few vehicles develop coolant leaks when the temps dropped over the years due to needing some o-rings replaced

04GTMustang

Established Member
I'd have to imagine those o-rings need replacing and the cold has done them in. I believe there have a been a few posts on the part numbers needed to replace all the o-rings. Just be real careful you get the correct gasket between the block and the cooler. Some of the parts stores have the numbers mixed up and at a glance they look the same

I've had a few vehicles develop coolant leaks when the temps dropped over the years due to needing some o-rings replaced

Hopefully this is all it will be. I almost changed the engine coolant last year.. Glad I waited now I have a good excuse to do it haha.

They are the original, 18 year old gaskets that have been through a lot of cold winters and heat cycles.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
There's a few sites that sell kits with all the o rings and the gasket.

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
I rebuilt mine and suspect I am getting problems from it. I am just making 99 cobra power, so I am installing a GT adapter and saying goodbye to the whole damn thing.

I tend to listen to na svt. He recommends getting rid of them, but he is more a na guy.

Users who are viewing this thread