Leak ?

CobraG

Established Member
My car has/had a leak coming from the rear, I found it after I returned home a couple days ago, my garage floor had a spot on it that smelled lightly like oil. I think it's coming from the rear, the dealership replaced the rear end parts as part of the deal, I wonder if they didn't tighten something up properly.

I put some card board under the rear and checked it the past couple of days, there's nothing on it nor anything leaking under the front of the car.

I did take the car to the car wash (touchless), brought it home and put the car cover on. Then when I drove it a couple days later is when I saw the leak area on the floor. Could it be from water draining down and that created the spot? This isn't like a drip, there are two areas where it looked like liquid came off the rear pumpkin.

Timeline: Car wash Sunday, brought it home, put the car cover on. Drove it to work Tuesday, noticed the spot in the garage. Cleaned the spot up, backed the car in, put cardboard under.
I've been checking everyday since and nothing on the card board or the floor under the front.

Take back to the dealership for them to check their work? Not sure what it could be but I don't want to mess anything up. The dealership is pretty far from my house, my local mechanic is right down the road. I think the dealership should look at/fix for free since they did the work.
Anyway, what do y'all think?

I'll do the 200 shot of NOS afterwards to confirm rear end is good to go. :p

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Diff overflow leaking out? I haven’t looked on my gt500 but my gt did leak a little out of here after changing diff fluid.

CobraG

Established Member
Diff overflow leaking out? I haven’t looked on my gt500 but my gt did leak a little out of here after changing diff fluid.
I wonder if that's what it could be. When they put the rear back to stock they did put in new diff fluid. Is that something that can keep leaking out? If so, I can take it back to them and have them fix it. I've had the car since 2 May so I'm thinking they'll take care of it since they fixed it.
I drove it Tuesday and it hasn't leaked since then.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
I wonder if that's what it could be. When they put the rear back to stock they did put in new diff fluid. Is that something that can keep leaking out? If so, I can take it back to them and have them fix it. I've had the car since 2 May so I'm thinking they'll take care of it since they fixed it.
I drove it Tuesday and it hasn't leaked since then.
If this is what it is, it is supposed to vent and nothing is wrong with it. It typically just happens for a short period while winding up the rear end. Once the level goes down a bit, it is no longer an issue.

CobraG

Established Member
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it, hopefully that's all it was. I have an appt with my local mechanic to have him go over it, check all the hoses etc. But that's not until early June.
Anyway, thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread