Leak!!! Need advice!!!

Flash2211

Established Member
Just changed the plugs for the upcoming dynotune from JJ and noticed that there has been some coolant leaking (seeping) from the driverside SC/intercooler, not much but nonetheless, it is getting into/onto the last two plugs/cop's. Now this has to been going on for a while now, since I always smell burnt coolant from truck.
Don't really have time to pull SC off...will it survive the dyno???

WWYD?

Mike

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
With the S/C on you wouldn't be able to see the Interccoler to see if it was leaking. :shurg:

Is the coolant on the outside of the intake by the plug tubes in the head? If so it's more than likely bad/leaking lower intake gaskets.

I get them all the time on Navigators.

Flash2211

Established Member
With the S/C on you wouldn't be able to see the Interccoler to see if it was leaking. :shurg:

Is the coolant on the outside of the intake by the plug tubes in the head? If so it's more than likely bad/leaking lower intake gaskets.

I get them all the time on Navigators.

Yep, that's it right @ the gasket...any major worries???

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
What normally would happen is the coils will start to drop out and you will have a missfire.

How full were the plug tubes? If they were more than a 1/4 of the way filled up with coolant I would replace the coil boots. They are not that expensive. Somewhere around $10 a boot.

The lower intake gaskets are not that hard to replace. You could do it in an afternoon and all you would need to get is the two lower intake gaskets and a gallon of coolant. It would also be a great time to clean out the intercooler.

The worst case would be if the gasket completely failed between the coolant passage and the intake runner and coolant was injected into ether cylinder #5 or #8 depending on where the compromised gasket is at.

I'd baby it, get it tuned and then get the gaskets replaced after JJ does his magic.

Flash2211

Established Member
What normally would happen is the coils will start to drop out and you will have a missfire.

How full were the plug tubes? If they were more than a 1/4 of the way filled up with coolant I would replace the coil boots. They are not that expensive. Somewhere around $10 a boot.

The lower intake gaskets are not that hard to replace. You could do it in an afternoon and all you would need to get is the two lower intake gaskets and a gallon of coolant. It would also be a great time to clean out the intercooler.

The worst case would be if the gasket completely failed between the coolant passage and the intake runner and coolant was injected into ether cylinder #5 or #8 depending on where the compromised gasket is at.

I'd baby it, get it tuned and then get the gaskets replaced after JJ does his magic.

I took of the SC back when I had the heaton...now the whipple on the other hand...looks more intimidating, especially since it has socket head cap screws and I just don't know if I can get to the last ones (back)...mod party would be nice...anyone????:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread