leaf blower for drying

cdh027

Established Member
I know I read a thread a while back about using a leaf blower to pre-dry the car before going at it with cotton terry towels. Has anybody tried this and how well does it work ? I was thinking of stopping at the De-pot for lunch and picking one up. I'm not sure what CFM or MPH velocity would do the trick if they do work at all ?

Matt M PA

Established Member
They work, but best for blowing out around lights, door handles, etc.

Electric is preferred as some gas ones put their exhaust into the airstream.

I alternately use one of those blade thingies..but have to use the leaf blower on the Viper or it will drip for days it seems.

Stalker

Established Member
For gods sakes use an electric one! Do a search for the poor shmuck that used a gas one and sprayed 2 stroke oil all over his clean car! Good for a laugh.

kj385

Established Member
It's the only way I dry my car! The less I have touch the paint the less chance of swril marks.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
I have a Weed Eater VIP Barracuda I picked up for $40. You need lots of wax for it to be effective. The water blows right off with the Zaino.

Brad

Banned
I have air tools, so when I'm really washing the car well I use the air gun head, but thats in addition to the best tool for drying your car which is an absorber, don't use cotton towls to dry the car. Using a leaf blower to dry the car is only good for getting the water out of the cracks, its not good for really anything else.

missile man

Established Member
Used an electric one on my car till I notices some kind of residue spots it was leaving. Found out it was tiny spots of bearing grease from the blower. Stopped using it except for the tires and rims. I use the brown waffle towel thing now. Works great.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by Brad
Using a leaf blower to dry the car is only good for getting the water out of the cracks, its not good for really anything else.

I don't agree with that.. I completely dry the top, hood, and trunk with just the blower in maybe 20 seconds, no problem. The last two or three washings, only the sponge touched those panels. No drying was needed. Lots of Zaino makes a huge diff.. I use the Absorber too though :)

Last edited:

soniccobra 03

SONIC SLO POKE
Established Member
A leaf blower?.........your kidding me right?........lol........sounds like a Jeff Foxworthy thing to me..........no offense to anyone but ,.............a leaf blower.......hahaha...you guys are the greatest............

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Hey, I have a my own landscape/property management company, and I use my leaf blower all the time to dry off my vehicles. Works great for the door jams, headlights, hatch area, etc. :thumbsup:

Don't knock it till ya try it:nono:

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
I don't agree with that.. I completely dry the top, hood, and trunk with just the blower in maybe 20 seconds, no problem. The last two or three washings, only the sponge touched those panels. No drying was needed. Lots of Zaino makes a huge diff.. I use the Absorber too though :)

The absorber is all you really need, the leaf blower is a little much.

loose nut

Sofa King Fast
Established Member
looky at this.....

This was an "impulse" buy a couple of weeks ago from our local Kragen autoparts store ($24.99). I was shocked...it works great for the headlights/taillights/mirrors...saves much time drying.
The 'snout' is thick rubber...very well made. :beer:

47b3ce27b3127cce8ffc930700120000001610

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Sears sells a shop vac with a detachable head that turns into a leaf blower WHOPPING 230 MPH

Now thats some speed I bought it as a car vac and to do closing of the pool in the winter its awasome

But scared to use it on the car.

Last edited:

F8l Vnm

Established Member
Sounds kinda corny but I bought mine like last year from Target for like 30 .
Works like a mofo .
Very good idea.

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
:D :beer: :D

Stihl gas blowers don't add the exhaust to the wind stream. They work great for car drying. The less you touch, the less you'll scratch.

:D :beer: :D

MJ32V

Established Member
The Echo gas powered leaf blower that I have doesn't introduce exhaust gas in the air flow either. Works great on my black '03. Like Petzuk said, the less you touch, the less you'll scratch.

MJ

Users who are viewing this thread