leaded fuel?

ATI03COBRA

Ajizzle
Established Member
I was just wondering how many people are running leaded 110 in your cobra's. there are couple around here that run it out at the track but to me it doesnt sound like a good idea with the 02 sensors. Am i doing the right thing by paying an extra dollar or two for 109 unleaded? Or should i not worry about it as much?

Thanks ahead of time for your opinion's.

A.J.

STROKD

Takin pictures of stuff
Established Member
ATI03COBRA said:
I was just wondering how many people are running leaded 110 in your cobra's. there are couple around here that run it out at the track but to me it doesnt sound like a good idea with the 02 sensors. Am i doing the right thing by paying an extra dollar or two for 109 unleaded? Or should i not worry about it as much?

Thanks ahead of time for your opinion's.

A.J.
If you have cats hell yes, lead gas will smoke cats, but if you don't lead gas is fine. Its actually a tad better cause the lead helps keep the motor from knocking, or so Ive been told, but if your car isn't tuned for the added octane, it will actually slow down, because the timing won't burn the fuel. I've seen 40-50 RW drops with race gas till the timing was added to burn it, then it'll make 50+ more depending on boost levels and motor combos.

ATI03COBRA

Ajizzle
Established Member
nope dont have cats. but the lead wouldnt plug the 02 sensors or anything like that? at least that is what i have been told by the guy selling me the fuel. is he just trying to get the exta couple buck for the unleaded?

thanks
A.J.

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
The leaded gas will ruin the O2 sensors!! He is correct. Pay the extra for the unleaded race gas. BTW, lead is added to the gas to increase octane and act as a lubricant for the valves and seats. The old time motor/head combo's used cast iron seats which weren't hardened and cast iron valves which needed the lead as a lube for reduced valve seat wear. Besides not having the lead, the other properties of unleaded race gas are about the same-----burning speed, latent heat of evaporation (cooling effect), specific gravity and octane.

STROKD

Takin pictures of stuff
Established Member
I've heard it can damage O2s, but haven't actually seen any evidence of it. :??:

Users who are viewing this thread