LCD or Plasma?

SilverELEX

Established Member
Im on the hunt for a new TV so who knows the pros and cons of both. Im lookin to buy 50" or more and ive heard good things about Samsung tvs. Can anyone fill me in?

JasonFC

Somethings different
Established Member
You cant really go wrong either way. Ive got a 42inch LCD HDTV, and I use it in a dual monitor set up on my computer, and it pulls regular TV duty aswell.. Without no risk of burn in like on a plasma screen.. On a side note, 42inch Jenna Haze ftw.. lol

MsWRXSTi

Banned
We've got a 42" LG plasma.. love it.. And if you are using it only a few hrs. a day (I highly doubt you'll have it on 12 hrs./day), burn-out won't be an issue. We expect ours to last at least 10 yrs. We'll have moved out by then, and left it for the next guy.

It DOES generate a lot of heat. But we get a GREAT picture, especially the hockey games, and it doesn't blur/lag like I hear some of the LCDs do when the picture can't sharply display moving objects.

As for Samsung, I have a lemon of a cell phone and a fried digital camera of theirs.. used to think they were great, but have moved on to better brand names since then!

JMHO.

drgnracin72

Established Member
samsung is one of the best in the plasma market, i have a 50 inch plasma and love it the only thing that sucks about them is while playing games and such, some of the stats or whatever that are in the game while playing will burn in. i think the plasmas have a much better picture than the others, much brighter colors, but like he said above me, they generate a lot of heat.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I have two 1080 LCDs, 47 Visio and a 32 Westinghouse, both have fantastic pictures, reasonably priced as well.

ImShakn

Established Member
Read that thread, there are alot of arguments why a plasma is a better choice.

There are also a lot of arguments why LCD is a better choice.

Both have their pros and cons. The bottom line is that you need to consider the viewing material and room lighting when you make a decision.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
samsung is one of the best in the plasma market, i have a 50 inch plasma and love it the only thing that sucks about them is while playing games and such, some of the stats or whatever that are in the game while playing will burn in. i think the plasmas have a much better picture than the others, much brighter colors, but like he said above me, they generate a lot of heat.

actually...samsung is one of the better LCD's and one of the worse plasmas...theyve had power supply issues for years

There are also a lot of arguments why LCD is a better choice.

Both have their pros and cons. The bottom line is that you need to consider the viewing material and room lighting when you make a decision.

room lighting isnt even really a reason as LCD's are having the glossy front now and plasmas are having anti-glare coatings

other than that

ONLY reason to own an lcd is if you plan on using it as a computer monitor....in an lcd the pixels touch edge to edge making the picture clearer for high resolution and close viewing...in a plasma the pixels are separated by a thin piece of glass which creates a space between the pixels

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
This debate is about as washed out as HD versus BR .... Plasma has the better picture. Go over to CNET and do some reading.

Try and not be swayed by the myths out there on flat panels. One of them being burn in on Plasma.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Read that thread, there are alot of arguments why a plasma is a better choice.
Unless you will be using it for video games.
A top notch LCD such as the Sony XBR4 or 5 rules in that department.

120hz refresh rate and a contrast ratio which is 18,000:1

Last edited:

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
Unless you will be using it for video games.
A top notch LCD such as the Sony XBR4 or 5 rules in that department.
120hz refresh rate and a contrast ratio which is 18,000:1

I believe this is another one of those myths. My 50" plasma looks damn good with my Xbox 360. BTW ...it is only a 720p.

Now I will agree that a 120hz is a good thing, but to the general dweeb out there, either one (plasma/LCD) is an upgrade and will look fantastic.

I clearly am in the camp that plasma picture just looks better. I have yet to see a set that matches the depth of the blacks on my Panasonic.

Don't even get me started on HD DVDs. Simply put on the plasma ..WOW.

drptitan

Established Member
We have both, the plasma is a 56" and its a great TV but I have a 46" 1080i LCD and I personally think its brighter and more clear.

Either way they are both great choices in a TV.

endless381

Established Member
I've got a Toshiba 42inch LCD 720hd tv.....Go with a lcd ive seen with plasma tv's that you can see yourself(kinda like a mirror)in the screen...Plus ive heard they dont last as long as a lcd

Users who are viewing this thread