Lawyers?

Moparkidd

can i get a check 1,2 uhh
Established Member
Anyone in here a lawyer? Is anyone here going to school to be a lawyer? I have a few questions for you, if you post here or pm me I would appreciate it. Thank you

hb712

Established Member
I'm in law school. Shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to answer whatever I can.

Moparkidd

can i get a check 1,2 uhh
Established Member
Ok, no problem. My question is, how late is too late to go to law school? I am 24 and have a 14 month old little girl. I make decent money but I want to do more, not necessarily for the money. I want to feel like i'm doing more than I currently am. How long would law school take? I really have no prior knowledge so any insight is great. Thanks

Edit: I currently live in Memphis, TN if that changes anything.

o2gt

Established Member
I started when I was 27 I'm now in my second year of three. My wife is 29 and starts tomorrow. There are some people older than me in my class and many about your age.so your defiantly not to old. You need to take the LSAT it's held a few times a year. LSAT.org is the website. Study for it maybe even take a class. That and your undergrad GPa are the big factors to getting in. I love law school it's a lot of work but if you have dedication you can do it. Post up more questions I will be happy to help.

Josh

neatofrito1618

Established Member
...why is this in the donut shop?

You need an undergrad degree and law school is typically 4 years. Very few of todays graduates ever actually get a job in the field, unless there are exceptional circumstances(ie. something along the lines of your family owning a law practice, etc.) spending 6 figures to attend law school is a foolish investment IMO.

o2gt

Established Member

You need an undergrad degree and law school is typically 4 years. Very few of todays graduates ever actually get a job in the field, unless there are exceptional circumstances(ie. something along the lines of your family owning a law practice, etc.) spending 6 figures to attend law school is a foolish investment IMO.

you dont even know how long law school is. its not typically 4 years its three. plenty of people get jobs. you need to work hard and make connections. why are you spouting of this BS to this guy. you clearly dont know the facts. what is foolish is you coming in a posting about things you dont seem to have any knowledge about.

hb712

Established Member

Law school is typically 3 years. Also, in Ohio we're seeing decent placement for top 10% graduates, and there are still jobs left for the lower ranked.

I already answered some of your questions via PM, but, in terms of age, I am 26. Much of my class started their first year around 22-23, but there are plenty of us slightly older folks. One of my main competitors is in her forties.

jbs$

Established Member
There are a surplus of Lawyers, look carefully at where you would find employment and how much debt you will accumulate in the process. There are many newly minted lawyers, with no jobs and huge debt, most from recognized schools. Beware, the colleges lie about career prospects in an effort to attract students and their dollars.

oldmodman

Established Member
I know a Doctor that decided to get his legal degree and passed the California State Bar. At the ripe old age of 51.
He's now 71 and still practicing. His practice defends hospitals from malpractice suits. And he does very, very well.

neatofrito1618

Established Member
you dont even know how long law school is. its not typically 4 years its three. plenty of people get jobs. you need to work hard and make connections. why are you spouting of this BS to this guy. you clearly dont know the facts. what is foolish is you coming in a posting about things you dont seem to have any knowledge about.
The national average job placement rate after 9 months is 55%. And I'd image a fair amount of that 55% went into law school already having strong 'connections' in the field.

If it's something he genuinely wants to do and he's fine with those numbers than more power to him, but you shouldn't give the guy false expectations by making him think that working hard and trying to network should give him great job prospects when he graduates. Especially when you consider the large amount of debt he's going to have to pay off.

Last edited:

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
Very few of todays graduates ever actually get a job in the field.....spending 6 figures to attend law school is a foolish investment IMO.

In Ohio we're seeing decent placement for top 10% graduates, and there are still jobs left for the lower ranked.

If it's something he genuinely wants to do and he's fine with those numbers than more power to him, but you shouldn't give the guy false expectations by making him think that working hard and trying to network should give him great job prospects when he graduates. Especially when you consider the large amount of debt he's going to have to pay off.
I can only speak of the job market in the NYC metro area where I practice and anecdotally of some other areas. The job market for newly admitted lawyers sucks and has been getting steadily worse over the last 10+ years. Don't rely on statistics from law schools they will skew the numbers any way they can to make law school, their law school, look good (The figures don't lie, the liars figure). "Decent" jobs for the top 10% is not very reassuring, but in my area this is probably about right. I am guessing 1/3 don't get jobs using their law degree, 1/3 are not happy with their placement and pay and 1/3 are gainfully employed but many are making less than expected and at the same time law school enrollment has been consistently going up. When compared with the astronomical increase in tuition and costs, law school does not make sense unless you know you will graduate towards the top of the class.

That said, why exactly do you want to become a lawyer? The job is often long hours, high stress, requires constant continuing legal education and clients usually hate the system and all involved because even success cost them a boat load of money and time. Want to go into private practice, then be prepared to start and run a business in addition to practicing law.

Ask yourself do you really have the analytical skill, drive, dedication, are you particularly articulate when speaking before an audience or when writing, etc. so as to to compete if not excel as a lawyer?

Have I made you think twice? Thinking this may not be the best career step for you? No, then maybe law school is right for you. But first go to your local law school and ask students who are in their last year what they are finding the job market to be, spend some time in the local state courthouse, there is always down time, speak to young lawyers in the area where you expect to practice, they are on the front lines of finding employment see what they say. Not interested in trial practice, most bar associations run CLE classes, that if you ask, you can sit in on and during breaks speak with those attending.

I love the practice of law and have been very successful at it, but if I was considering it today, I would probably choose a different career path.

OP, my gut tells me law school is not for you. You have not even done the basic research (most every law school is three Years). Before you worry about being to old, you're not, you need to gather more information well beyond a car forum Google It For Me!

hb712

Established Member
"Decent" jobs for the top 10% is not very reassuring, but in my area this is probably about right.

It is if you happily reside within that 10% :coolman:.

I've addressed some of the basic law school stuff (i.e., the amount of dedication required to be successful) with the OP via PM. At this point he does not have an undergraduate degree, so much of the discussion is pointless.

That being said, I'll add some things that require consideration before deciding to be an attorney. *Note, some of this is from slightly older studies.

- Lawyers suffer from depression at 3.6 times average.
- Male lawyers are 2 times more likely to commit suicide than average.
- Up to 20% of lawyers abuse alcohol or are otherwise chemically dependent.
- Depression among law students has gone from 9-10% prior to entering school all the way to 40% in the third year.

Now, I'm off to finish my unusually light-day of ~60 pages of reading. :banana:

2Rare

Against All Odds
Established Member
Beware, the colleges lie about career prospects in an effort to attract students and their dollars.

+1000000
There are many schools who lure you into their institution just because of the funds in your pocket. Choose the right school and research where your field of study is currently hot or hiring. Nothing is impossible, just takes a lot of hard work and dedication. Best of luck to you.

Planter

Banned
if you're smart, you'll start your own practice from scratch. don't work for some firm that will run you into the ground in your first 5 years.

I too am contemplating law school in the next few years, but I will be going to night school if I go and running my own practice afterwards.

Jack Burton

Established Member
if you're smart, you'll start your own practice from scratch. don't work for some firm that will run you into the ground in your first 5 years.

I too am contemplating law school in the next few years, but I will be going to night school if I go and running my own practice afterwards.

Don't forget about the startup costs and the amount of time to build a client base. I had several clients that were startup and several that have been established for 40+ years.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
There are a surplus of Lawyers, look carefully at where you would find employment and how much debt you will accumulate in the process. There are many newly minted lawyers, with no jobs and huge debt, most from recognized schools. Beware, the colleges lie about career prospects in an effort to attract students and their dollars.

Yep this so many lawyers. Personally I have my set of lawyers set aside for whatever issues could arise, I would not go with a green lawyer every! Most lawyers I see with under 10yrs of experience don't have connections and understanding of what's happening. When it comes to my lawyers most of the time they determine my quality of life and that I will not sacrifice. But fear not I see lots of people looking and asking for the cheapest lawyer around and guess what!? Most of the time they get what they paid for, nothing LOL! Law school and making that a career you need to be at the top of your game, have connections and a background with either family or strong friends in the field.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Lawyers have finally reached the saturation point? Aren't there more lawyers in the U.S. then the rest of the world combined?

Users who are viewing this thread