Launtching tech and shifting points 97 cobra???

snakebittin

Established Member
I have a 97 Cobra with the following boltons,4.10,82mm MA,K/N,62 mm TB,REAR UPPER AND LOWER TUBULAR CONTROL ARMS,FRAME CONNECTORS,steed shifter,H/R lowering springs,Bilstein struts and shocks,275/40/17 Nitto Drags radials.Nitto NT01 UP FROMTMAXIMUM MOTORSPORTS caster camber plates.I was wondering if anyone can tell me were to shift this thing for best times at the dargs mostly 1/8 mile.Also whats the best way to launch it.I had it there the other day and only could get a 9.5 out of it.I think its got way more since all the whell spin.Tire pressure was at 20psi.ANy thoughts or suiggestions welcome ,thanks!Sorry for the bad typing!!!I was hopig for a high 8 ??

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Off the bottle with just 4.30s, O/R X, K&N, and 555Rs the best I could run was an 8.72 with a 1.92 60'. It is all going to depend on the track prep. You could drop the PSI in your Nittos to about 18 psi, and try launching from 2500 and working your way up.

At my track I usually cannot launch hard at all without spinning, but last week it was prepped really well and I was able to do a 5000 RPM clutch slip and spray in first and cut a 1.86 60'.

If the track won't hook, I'd worry more about mph than anything. I could never trap over 81 in the 1/8 mile, before or after my gears. If you can trap 81mph in the 1/8, you're doing pretty good.

N/A, I shift just before redline- sometimes I'll shift at 7000, sometimes 6600. Seems to pull best when I shift at about 6600 though. I leave like I'm leaving a stop light. If you dump the clutch you'll spin- I try to slip it quickly to get the best 60'.

Get out there and practice some more. Good luck.

snakebittin

Established Member
Sounds good

I was shifting the car at 6000.You think higher???I also have a Steeda cai but it wont work with my proflow mass air meter not sure which works better.I guess I will have to practice.Should I shift same rpm into 3rd also????:shrug::shrug::shrug:

Wish4svts

Established Member
I shift mine at 6400 and my best time i launched at 5000... My car is x pipe, aluminum DS, 3.73s, a built rear and some suspension. BONE Stock motor except for K&N I went 8.64 at 81 W/ a 1.88 60' on Hoosiers at full wieght? I slowed down a bit when i shifted at 6000 rather than 6400, ran a couple 8.7s shifting at 6, bumped it up and ran 8.6s.

PS cant wait to see what it will do with nitrous and less wieght...

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Try to shift at 6500 ish into second and third. Speed shifting is worth a few tenths as well... Drive it like you stole it!

LitleWhiteSnake

Yeah, Its a VTEC
Established Member
The track here in Orlando is not too bad. I launch at 2k and did a 8.4 @ 90mph off spray
These motors are made to rev, don't be sceard to take her up high. Good luck

snakebittin

Established Member
Going for broke!!

I will be heading back o the track on tuesday when its prepped.Last time it was a cruise night with no prep at all.Ii will try all of the suggestions.I was hoping for a 8.99 adleast.You guys think it can happen once I get the driving down???I think sop we will se.Stay tuned!!:coolman::coolman::coolman::coolman:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
your shifting way way to early, that right there is your first problem, go correct that and your times should change, then come back and we can talk on anything else that could be changed to help

KazooGS-T

Established Member
9's in the 1/8th mile just seems really slow... You need to shift a decent amount higher, you are cutting yourself short.

Users who are viewing this thread