Launching on street tires

cobra2798

I have no car
Established Member
Im going to the track this week to run on my street tires. Last time at the track i had a old worn out set of M/T drags that lasted the night and i launched good turning a best et of 12.98@ 111mph. What can i do to get traction on these tires and what is the best rpm's to launch at with street tires? Help! dont want to look like a fool at the track

blwn2kgt

Established Member
STAMPEDE3 said:
2500-3000 at most, ease off clutch as you go down on the gas.
Just ride the clutch out.

hehehehe easier said than done when the adrenaline is pumpin though well for me anyway!

blwn2kgt

Established Member
WizardsCobra said:
All I can say is good luck. I've found it impossible for me to launch on street tires.

I agree with you I'm just not that good a driver hehehe and besides even when I manage to launch unless I'm in third I'm not going WOT without breaking the wheels free!

lone sailor

Established Member
Depending on your overall gear ratio I'd start with about 1600rpm and work your way higher from there. Also, don't just drop the hammer as soon as you're ready to cut the light. It is something that is harder to do, but easing the gas in and the clutch as previously stated is one of the best ways to learn what your car likes and you can even get better 60' times that way.

JVENOM

Established Member
i launch mines at 2000-2500. on street tires, i still need to ease out more not be so aggressive..i spin alot. :rolling:

silvercoffin

Established Member

What I did was ignore the light (since it doesnt effect your et at all) or just start to go after you notice the yellows coming down, but dont try to cut a good light.. Just concentrate on the launch. I launched from idle in my car just like on the street and floored it as I got moving. 2.10 was my best 60ft which could be better...but it got me the 12.7 i was looking for stock.

I think the biggest mistake most people make...well especially me...was trying to cut a good light.. when you should really just learn how to launch first. Once you are consistent with your launch, then you figure out which yellow to go on with out changing your launching technique.

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
silvercoffin said:
What I did was ignore the light (since it doesnt effect your et at all) or just start to go after you notice the yellows coming down, but dont try to cut a good light.. Just concentrate on the launch. I launched from idle in my car just like on the street and floored it as I got moving. 2.10 was my best 60ft which could be better...but it got me the 12.7 i was looking for stock.

I think the biggest mistake most people make...well especially me...was trying to cut a good light.. when you should really just learn how to launch first. Once you are consistent with your launch, then you figure out which yellow to go on with out changing your launching technique.

great advice here! I have been trying to cut the best light for days! I am well aware that it does not matter in the E.T but for some reason I have to do it! its like popping the bubble wrap or something! I guess with more practice I can learn to launch better. My 60s are ugly at 2.3s 2.2s....

CobraSvt9746

Another 1 Bites The Dust
Established Member
yeah thats what i do...........just ignore the light, plus i think it is fun sometimes making it look like you are giving the guy by you a head start then fly by him

blwn2kgt

Established Member
CobraSvt9746 said:
yeah thats what i do...........just ignore the light, plus i think it is fun sometimes making it look like you are giving the guy by you a head start then fly by him

One time when I did this I got a 1.4 RT the guy in the booth asked me if I fell asleep I think he thought I was comatose lmao

CobraSvt9746

Another 1 Bites The Dust
Established Member
^^^^^^^^^^ funny shit isn't it?!!^^^^^^ did you beat the guy in the other lane

blwn2kgt

Established Member
CobraSvt9746 said:
^^^^^^^^^^ funny shit isn't it?!!^^^^^^ did you beat the guy in the other lane

Yeah it's funny to see the look on the guys face when you pick up the slip people are like "what happened?" they just dont get it. Most everyone else is so worried about RT. And actually yes I have walked alot of cars down with the Cobra I imagine they hear the whine pretty good right before I blow by hehehe!! On the 1.4 I dont beleive I did however I must say if I line up against a car I really wanna run like a Vette, GTO, SRT4, Audi etc. I always forget about my launch and just go for the good RT I cannot stand to lose to those guys! It really pisses me off but lets just say im rarely if ever pissed off lol.

Users who are viewing this thread