Launching on Slicks

FastFreddy

Established Member
I recently started running with slicks and need some advice. The slicks are MT ET Street 26x11.50-16 on 16x10 rims. I went with the 26's because I still have the factory 3.55 gears in the 2000 L. Stock converter as well. Also, I installed Metco Trac Links and a driveshaft loop.

The questions are:
1) What RPM to launch from?
2)What PSI?
3)Burnout? How much Heat/Smoke is necessary? What gear?

Any and all replies are good!

Thanks,
Fred.

MoonshineBWI

The Tunaking!
Established Member
I just went and "played" until I found what works for me. 18 psi hot (and I mean after burn out) I start at 16 cold and that is usually close. Burn out should only heat tire and not excessively burn rubber off it (I show off for the idiot ricers and smoke it sometimes - dosn't matter that I run a little slower {if tires are too hot it seems to actually lose traction sometimes} as they can't handle it anyway). Gear dosn't matter as it starts in first anyway no matter what indicator says (duh). I'm using JDM torque convertor and with that it likes 1800 launch and then "almost" punch it. Too fast - spin; too slow - lose time..... Anyway, try with 20 psi first, then 18, then 16, and so on until it gets worse. then go back to previous. Every track is different though and there is no set pressure.....

FastFreddy

Established Member
Thanks,BWI.
I'll find out tonight at Atco. Temps will be in the 50's at race time. I'll be looking for a personal best.
My set up is the same as yours except for the converter, exhaust, and throttle body.
So far I have run a [email protected] on F-1's in 61 degree air. We'll see what happens tonight. Stay tuned!

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
I have a buddy running M/T et streets on a Camaro and he gets his best 60 foot times when he roasted them. I know they are street tires but if your not worried about tread life give um hell
Jay

FastFreddy

Established Member
Results from Atco,NJ

:)
First run was a personal best
[email protected]__60=1.940. 1700rpm, (Squeeze the gas) spun the tires-18psi

Second run was a hot lap
[email protected]__60=1.995. 1500rpm, (Mash the gas) spun like a top

Third run was a good cool down
Lowered the pressures to 16,Launch @ 1400,(Mash the gas) Hooked up better! Results: [email protected]__60=1.894.

Fourth run was Cold. Real COLD. 50degrees
[email protected]__60=1.839. 1200rpm,(mash the gas) Felt good, still spun the tires.

The lower I launched, the faster I got!
Wish I had another few rounds ;-)

Also of note: The more smoke I made, the better we hooked. Not that I put on a smoke show, but the first two runs were barely a puff. The last run was probably a little too much smoke, but I don't think it hurt any.

Thanks for the imput.
Fred
:thumbsup:

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
Kick ass over 2 tenths .
I wish i would have gotten that type of improvement from my cheater slicks.
I ended up getting tons of wheel hop when i was trying to warm them up. I got something for that ass. lol
nice times man. some day ill be in the 12's too.
now i lay me down to sleep i pray the lord for a 12 sec run.......

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Excellent runs. What mods are you running?

I have never had good luck hooking up at Atco, I prefer E-Town.

But Atco can be rented for a decent price and then they will prep the track anyway you want it.

Congrats

MoonshineBWI

The Tunaking!
Established Member
Originally posted by SouthJerseyUSA
Thanks,BWI.
I'll find out tonight at Atco. Temps will be in the 50's at race time. I'll be looking for a personal best.
My set up is the same as yours except for the converter, exhaust, and throttle body.
So far I have run a [email protected] on F-1's in 61 degree air. We'll see what happens tonight. Stay tuned!

Ahhh.... I forgot that i'm running in 90 degree weather. My tires stay hot a long time after burn out - you may want to heat em up a little more so they're still warm when you run (I smoke the 11ell out of them sometimes just for the "riceboys" waiting in line behind me and all it does is produce little sticky rubber balls and bits [get it!] - they like keeping their vehicles clean even if they aren't too fast.) Actually we all get along great here - at least the guys who are willing to run and show what they got instead of trying to bu11sh1t about this, that and the other. I got nothing against someone with a 15 sec car and will go out of my way to help them - just don't try and tell me it's in the 12's and then refuse to run it!!

Nice times by the way.....the more you practice the better you'll get! - get those 60' times down...:D

FastFreddy

Established Member
Traction Bars & Safety Loop

Originally posted by no_slow_svt
Kick ass over 2 tenths .
I wish i would have gotten that type of improvement from my cheater slicks.

I ended up getting tons of wheel hop when i was trying to warm them up.

Metco adjustable trac links and a drive shaft loop. Works for me!

I think I left a little at the line. I think I can get a 1.7x short time and that should net a 12.6xx. :burnout:

FastFreddy

Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan

Excellent runs. What mods are you running?

:burnout:
JDM Stage One
2# Lower
E-Fan & R-Pump
Slicks & Traction Bars
Drop the hitch,spare,tailgate,bedcover,and subs.
:burnout:
See me @ E-Town next week.
Fred Decker
:)

NeoNAFK

Established Member
haha i have a 12 second rice lol. i won't run it though its sitting at SPI getting fixed now. and i don't have enough clutch either im selling i for a lighitnng.

Users who are viewing this thread