Launching my cobra with n20 and street tires

LSWHAT??

I am posting this here because the car is an SN95 cobra, and you get very few hits over in the Blower Bistro.

I am heading to the track again this weekend and will be spraying my 96 with a 75 shot untuned. Other mods include upr short throw, spec stage II, built t-45. For tires I will be using Nitto 555's (not DR) that have about 50% tread left on them.

My question is how should I launch this 4V car on spray at the track to get 2.0 or better 60 ft's? My last track outting was on the same tires with almost no tread and the best 60 ft. I could muster was 2.3X's at 25 psi, no burnout.

The car has the traps to go mid 13's at 8000 ft. DA, but I'm cutting low 14's all day with the $hitty 60 ft.'s

My nitrous is activated with a WOT switch and arming switch, do you think I should:

1. Arm it at the line, baby it out of the hole and nail it.

2. Launch out of the hole (what rpm?) and activate it in 2nd gear.

3. Launch out of the hole, arm it after traction and shift into 2nd.

I just don't want to miss a shift and say good night to my motor, I really need a window switch!

Thanks for all your replies in advance, I know someone else has ran into this situation before (no window switch, street tires).

reddog4063

Established Member
launch it out of the hole at 2k slipping the clutch (dont dump) then go wot

window switch = $100-150
new motor = ???
be safe and let us know your times

LSWHAT??

Yeah, I will let everyone know how I run. Thanks for the input!

When I get another window switch I will feel much better about launching this car and bangin' the gears.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Slip the clutch out from 2 grand, nail, hit 2nd, activate nitrous. That's the only option for your goals.

LSWHAT??

RippinSVT said:
Slip the clutch out from 2 grand, nail, hit 2nd, activate nitrous. That's the only option for your goals.

Thanks Rippin', I'm definitely leaning toward that route, I will at least try it once.

Previously (running low 14's, cutting 2.3 60's) I armed the system, launched at idle, went WOT at 3 grand and lift shifted 2nd and 3rd. I'm really not that scared of spraying out of the hole, more worried about missing a shift.

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
it's very hard to miss 1-2.. just lift a bit on 2 to thrid.. make sure you wot is not activated until you are in 3rd.. and have fun.
pd: do you have stock gears?

cobraboy169

Speed. . . My Anti-Drug
Established Member
just get sticky tires. using the N2O on street tires is difficult to keep the tires to the ground. It is possible but difficult. fiil up the bottle find an empty street and practice what everyone is saying and see what works for you.

LSWHAT??

jmir018 said:
it's very hard to miss 1-2.. just lift a bit on 2 to thrid.. make sure you wot is not activated until you are in 3rd.. and have fun.
pd: do you have stock gears?

Yeah, I'm still on stock gear. I'm more worried about the launch then anything. I am more comfortable with my 2-3 shift than my 1-2 though, every once in awhile my built t-45 will try and throw the shifter out of second at high rpm. (only happened twice in about a year though)

LSWHAT??

cobraboy169 said:
just get sticky tires. using the N2O on street tires is difficult to keep the tires to the ground. It is possible but difficult. fiil up the bottle find an empty street and practice what everyone is saying and see what works for you.

Please paypal $300 for new Nitto DR and $35.50 for nitrous fill + 3% fee to [email protected] :lol:

J/K, but I really don't have the scrill to be buying things right now, I know it sucks but I have to work with what I have.

Thanks for the comments, keep them coming!

Users who are viewing this thread