Launching /high speed

Brickell gt500

Established Member
When is appropriate to use sport over neutral? This is for the street primarily. Does the car hook better with the sport mode activated? When going at a very high rate of speed lets say above 120, is it better to keep it in n or s?

Thanks

USV8PWR

Established Member
When is appropriate to use sport over neutral? This is for the street primarily. Does the car hook better with the sport mode activated? When going at a very high rate of speed lets say above 120, is it better to keep it in n or s?

Thanks

IMO the shocks are too tight in Sport for high speed street driving. For example, going over a bridge or a bump at a speed over 100 makes the shocks bottom out or fully extend in sport mode. Whereas the normal setting is a little softer and soaks up the bumps at high speed better. Howwever, these cars are way to heavy to drive really fast on bumpy highway roads. Now once the road is glass smooth....look out!

Van@RevanRacing

220 MPH in a 4200 lb convertible Super Snake with everything in very soft settings.

Same applies here. High speed soft.

Road course, sport mode.

USV8PWR

Established Member
220 MPH in a 4200 lb convertible Super Snake with everything in very soft settings.

Same applies here. High speed soft.

Road course, sport mode.

Thanks Van! I knew I wasn't crazy. The car can quickly become dangerous at high speeds with Sport mode on.

bpmurr

Established Member
I thought when you hit a certain speed in the GT500 it automatically goes into Sport Mode.

USV8PWR

Established Member
What about at the track?

A track is built to be smooth, so the car should be in sport mode. Unless you are talking the Nurburgring. The speeds you can reach on that track, plus the lack of complete smoothness of the track, would make me run it in Normal mode.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Launching/high speed?

For example, going over a bridge or a bump at a speed over 100 makes the shocks bottom out or fully extend in sport mode. Whereas the normal setting is a little softer and soaks up the bumps at high speed better.

The dampers "tighten up" in sport mode so you are less likely to bottom out in sport mode as opposed to comfort mode. As Shaun Bailey of R&T wrote regarding his 'Ring ride with Gene Martindale...

On the track I needed only to experience a partial lap; after the first jump at Quiddelbacher-Höhe I began frantically gesturing for a switch to the sport setting. Gene was in complete agreement, as normal mode is not appropriate for attenuating the landings of the Nürburgring's four jumps—there is simply too much bounce on the landing, like a Cessna trying to touch down with excessive airspeed.
From here.

Sport mode does indeed become uncomfortable on rough roads simply because the natural (suspension) frequency is no longer a match for human sensitivities. Here's a good read on that...

http://www.rqriley.com/suspensn.htm

Users who are viewing this thread