launching 98 s/c cobra

kmoore281

Established Member
i had a 95 s/c gt and had no probs launching on street tires, but my 98 w/4.10 gears and 275 40 17 bfg/ta is hard to figure out somtimes i get a better launch starting in 2nd gear. im sure i will figure it out but im just curious to see how someone else is getting this done.

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
You just need to feather the clutch more and try to keep the rpm's up. The intake runners don't open up until 3200rpm and that's where the powerband starts.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Clutch feathering and throttle control are you best friends, especially if you get over 3425 RPMS.

SnakeDriver97

Newly Minted Ensign
Established Member
Take some pressure out of the tires, if you haven't done so already, and really feather the clutch. Do that for one run, then try starting in 2nd...see which one produces the better 60'.

1slosnake

10 second pilot
Established Member
Save yourself the :bash: and just get some ET Streets, trust me you won't be disappointed :burnout:. And they are great because they can double for track & street use.

Last edited:

kmoore281

Established Member
i thought of et streets too but for daily driving i want some nitto d/r would the 315 35 17 look really dumb on 9" wheels, im sure they will if they even fit. but i also want to know if those et streets will tear up the stock diff and axles? first gear has to be a blast on et streets! what do launch your car at w/slicks?

96vert

Established Member
Originally posted by 1slosnake
Save yourself the :bash: and just get some ET Streets, trust me you won't be disappointed :burnout:. And they are great because they can double for track & street use.

Lol that is what I was going to recommend too. I don't think that ET streets are really viable for street driving, but it sure looks cool! Anyway, I too have a HORRIBLE time launching on street tires (best of 2.1 60 ft). I don't know if you have continued problems after you're rolling, but I went sideways the other day in 3rd gear cruising down the road, when I punched it and forgot my tires were still cold. Anyway, either BFG Drag radials or Nitto DR's are on my list.

315's will fit on 9" wheels but will look a little too big. I'd either get a set of 10.5" wide rear wheels if you want to run 315's or go down to 275's for your 9" wheel. Good luck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread