Launched A Plug

Gripstang

KickPushKickPush,Coast..
Established Member
Hey guys I was on my way to drop my daughter off at school and I launched a plug. Its all my fault, I had heard the telltale clicking well before it happened but I had been working every waking hour so I had no time to even look under the hood. Anyway its my fault so Im not bitchin. :)

I have a question though...

Is it possible that it didnt pull the threads out of the head? Im wondering because I was barely on the accelerator and when it launched it was more of a puff sound than anything else.

Also is there any chance it didnt ruin the COP?

4 more 13 hour shifts and I can get my hands dirty, until then Im gonna be bummed, hardcore.

How much does it cost roughly for the install of a timesert (thats what its called right?) and where in the hell do I find someone who can do it? The dealership? Jed down the road? Hmm... Ill do a search on timesert also...

Thanks for any and all comments.

Snakestress

Drag Queen
Established Member
IMO theres a chance its still good. I hear mine tick every now and then, and i go in there and tighten it up and it still stays. It just gets really loose but i always try to fix it before it completely goes. One of the plugs i fixed almost needed a full turn :eek: i got lucky that time.

a sert kit is definitely a good investment if you dont plan on heads. i have one and its attached to my truck. im too lazy to sert them all but i have 2 serted so far. just waiting for that day... :D

good luck and next time you hear it, please dont wait. it only takes a couple minutes to check and re tighten (oh wait, maybe for me since i have small hands lol)

02bluelightning

Forced Induction
Established Member
sorry to hear that i had the same expirience i was at a red light and i was just starting to pull away like 5mph and i heard a loud pop so i pulled over and looked under the hood and theres was the coil pack chillen ontop of the vaccum lines, i tried to tighten the plug back into the threads but it was a no go so i had an insert a put in.

good luck,

scott

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
i had this happen to, is the tell-tale ticking sound loud, or do you need to really listen to it, also does it do it all the time, or just at idle, part throttle. i dont want to have to have another sert put in.

Gripstang

KickPushKickPush,Coast..
Established Member
You'll know it when ya hear it. Its pretty obvious what it is.

So those of you that had it done how much was it?

Snakestress

Drag Queen
Established Member
blklightningy2k said:
i had this happen to, is the tell-tale ticking sound loud, or do you need to really listen to it, also does it do it all the time, or just at idle, part throttle. i dont want to have to have another sert put in.

it will sound like an exhaust leak. dont ignore it, ive learned my lesson. and it gets louder if you ignore it

Thunder Bolt

AKA Ron's Bolt!
Established Member
Snakestress said:
it will sound like an exhaust leak. dont ignore it, ive learned my lesson. and it gets louder if you ignore it

Yep, exactly like an exhaust leak.

Sorry to hear about anthony.

Last edited:

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Sux to hear man. You might be able to find a local shop or stealership to do it at a reasonalbe price but your best bet is to buy the kit and DIY. I wish you lived close, I'd help you.

gpro71bird

Need for Speed
Established Member
Local dearlership would not do the timesert repair (they said buy new heads for $3,800) but recommended a machine / engine building shop that did the repair for $112.50.

Users who are viewing this thread