Latest news on the 2015 mustang!

VictorySong

Established Member
It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I don't think it will lose more than 100lbs but, it would be nice to get a Mustang back to the fox body size and weight. :rolling:

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Someone get DBK in here to confirm those numbers

wma8706

Established Member
based on the leak pics. 2015 would prob. look like this
0xle.jpg
nlkv.jpg

ViciousJay

Established Member
Im sorry but this thing will NEVER pass a crash test at 3200-3400 lbs and a coyote motor. Sorry i dont see it happening

Rick88LX

Established Member
Im sorry but this thing will NEVER pass a crash test at 3200-3400 lbs and a coyote motor. Sorry i dont see it happening

Based on what? Frontal impact? Engine packaging? Stiffer pulse due to lighter mass?

From what I've heard from people who've seen it in person, there appears to be a fairly decent amount of hood length (read: longer engine compartment). That may be enough to allow for a longer rail tip to manage the crush.

It's all speculation until the hard numbers come out.

The shedding of an honest 400lbs. seems like a significant mass reduction that proves very challenging. Will be interesting to see.

specizripn

Established Member
So basically someone without legs will struggle to fit in the back and the trunk is big enough for a carton of ice cream in a car that looks like mix between an aston martin and the current gen mustang. Hmmm, not so sure about this :shrug:

John Boschma

Ho slappin champion!!
Established Member
based on the dimensions I seen in the first post, if they are accurate, the new mustang would be on par with a fox body. only allot better styling.
losing 400 pounds with a shorter and narrower car than the current model would be a breeze.
I don't see anything hard about it myself.
I can't wait to see the car and performance numbers.

guarnibl

Established Member

So you're saying per inch of vehicle size the Mustang has to be heavier than it's current model or it won't pass a crash test? wat? Not sure where your logic is there? The Boss 302 curb weight is ~3650 lb. To get to 3400 you're only shedding 250 lb. That's pretty much immediately done by shrinking the length and width a fair amount. But if these numbers are right -- this is more than a "fair amount" of a reduction in size. It's massive.

If these size numbers are right, it should have no problem hitting 3200-3400 lb and pass crash tests.

Personally I question their ability to get to that size and retain trunk space and back seats (at all). While I would love to see a fox body hatch style again -- I don't think Ford will do that, so I question the size numbers... I don't think we will see such a massive reduction in wheel base. 15" of overall length perhaps... wonder what kind of reduction in wheel base we will see from that.

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
How much overhang is there in the bumper / radiator area? Hell its gotta be 5-8" just chillin right there, so keep in mind, thats 15" from the tip of the front bumper to the rear of the back bumper... i imagine most of that is just dead space to begin with anyways, shouldnt exactly be rocket science to find the room.

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
based on some early pics. of a 5.0 " shoehorned" into the unit, it may appear that offset or frontal impact may be compromised, since the motor is really tight in fit. Also, they
will consider that the " submarine " breakaway of the power train on full frontal impact
may be an issue....I am sure they will or have wrecked a bunch of protos so far.

c. love

Established Member
The mustang at 3200-3300lbs + IRS + Coyote is what the 11+ should have been. It would be so much more of a car. You lucky guys lookin at getting 15's might just get lucky

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
The mustang at 3200-3300lbs + IRS + Coyote is what the 11+ should have been. It would be so much more of a car. You lucky guys lookin at getting 15's might just get lucky

It's what the New Edge Cobra should'a been. Better late than never.

Users who are viewing this thread