Last week a Copperhead, this week an ENORMOUS snapping Turtle

homer302

Banned
I think this is a snapping Turtle. Not sure. It was HUGE though. Neat to see it. It was not scared at all. He also had a traveling companion (offspring maybe)? I turned him loose with his pal. I just moved them further from the road to a safer spot. They went down to the creek and on their way.
It was a neat encounter.

IMG_1473.gif

IMG_1472.gif

IMG_1471.gif

IMG_1474.gif

IMG_1446.gif

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
Nice! I used to have 3 of them and once they got big enough I released them where they were first born.

SRNA

Established Member
They call them snapping turtles for a good reason. Glad you didn't get a finger or toe near the business end. They have a bite that's unbelievable.

homer302

Banned
I respected him and left him alone for the most part. He was in the road so I did move him. I was just amazed at the huge claws on his feet and the "dinosaur" spines on his tail. Man, I wonder how old he was?

65fastback2+2

Established Member
I respected him and left him alone for the most part. He was in the road so I did move him. I was just amazed at the huge claws on his feet and the "dinosaur" spines on his tail. Man, I wonder how old he was?

iirc you count the tiles on their shell or something like that and it gives you a close age

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
we got one right off a dock before at a private lake that was bigger, mean sob.

Called the care taker, he came down and put a big stick on top of its head and hit it down with a hammer to kill it because it eats baby fish.

I am scarred for life, haha.

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
cool turtle. looks like a snapper. put a stick near its mouth and you can tell. it break it in two. watch your fingers!!

mustanginky

Established Member
we had one in our grandpas pond about that size. mean sucker. while fishing he would always eat our bait and we'd end up reeling him in or him breaking off a line with a hook in his mouth.

Users who are viewing this thread