Last runs of the year and new pb!

03VenomBite

Established Member
My last runs of the year at the local track. Back when it was warm not like today with the high of -7 but air temp was -22!!! Let me know what you guys think I can do better. Just know that I have drag radial and they were at 15psi and the track wasn't being prepped to often!! I would lauch (if you can call it that) at 2500rpms, shift at around 6300, and my best was the last two good ones with 12.40's!

Thanks

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huNQmaCNf5w"]YouTube - 03 Cobra In Car[/nomedia]

skratpiece

Established Member
Conservative launches? I can understand on that IRS, but even with my Vert I would have launched a lot harder. Your 2nd run shifts were improved. I'm just a laptop critic because I've never hit the strip, but you definitely need to be shifting flawlessly to get the best time . Not bad though considering you never missed a shift once. Try to shift under acceleration and get back into the throttle at same time. The top of your rev range isn't necessarily the peak power nor optimal time to shift. You hit the rev limiter a couple times too. Your best shifts were as executed excellently and were as good as you can possibly shift the Cobra, but it seems like your worst shifts were because you allowed the car to lose power, nose dive and then shift. Good runs though. BTW. You list pulley, tune, and drag radials but is that all? What kind of shifter, exhaust and intake?

Last edited:

NateV8

Established Member
You definitely had an issue with bogging. I would try launching at a higher RPM, maybe like 3500-4000. With a good launch and faster shifting you should be running high 11s.

03VenomBite

Established Member
Conservative launches? I can understand on that IRS, but even with my Vert I would have launched a lot harder. Your 2nd run shifts were improved. I'm just a laptop critic because I've never hit the strip, but you definitely need to be shifting flawlessly to get the best time . Not bad though considering you never missed a shift once. Try to shift under acceleration and get back into the throttle at same time. The top of your rev range isn't necessarily the peak power nor optimal time to shift. You hit the rev limiter a couple times too. Your best shifts were as executed excellently and were as good as you can possibly shift the Cobra, but it seems like your worst shifts were because you allowed the car to lose power, nose dive and then shift. Good runs though. BTW. You list pulley, tune, and drag radials but is that all? What kind of shifter, exhaust and intake?

I tried harder launches but just spun real bad. I'm not good enough yet to slip the clutch.:bash: I did try to slip and launch at a higher rpm in the last run and rolled out of the box and red lighted and didn't know what the red light was for and left late! I will get a set of big's and littles this winter to help out the launch. Thnks about the intake and stuff I forgot to write down. It's a MGW shifter, JLT High Boost intake, and a full Mac O/R exhaust.

03VenomBite

Established Member
You definitely had an issue with bogging. I would try launching at a higher RPM, maybe like 3500-4000. With a good launch and faster shifting you should be running high 11s.

I don't think I can shift any faster then the fourth of fifth run. It was almost without taking my foot off the gas and popping the clutch!:shrug:

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
Nice runs man. These cars are tricky with the IRS, it just takes practice to learn the car. Easier said than done, but if you want the best time you cant be afraid to break parts I guess lol :beer:

03VenomBite

Established Member
I'm not worried about breaking the rearend. At my local track, if I tried to go higher in the rpms I would spin real bad. If you look at a few of the runs were the shift light is blinking fast, which means I'm above the set rpms, I would spin a little!

Users who are viewing this thread