Lash adjuster going bad

Avispa

Established Member
Have a lash adjuster that leaks down when the engine is off. Gives me a healthy, loud ticking noise at the cam follower until it pumps up (about a minute or so). It's only a matter of time.

Any way to get these out without tearing the whole front of the motor off and pulling the cams?

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
They make a lash adjuster removal tool. Mine I could pop out with a little force from a screw driver. You might have to rotate the crank by hand to get it so the lobes are where you want them on the cam side.

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
This ^^^^^^

You do not need to remove the front cover or cams to replace lash adjusters. Just the cam cover and then pop out the roller follower. The tool hooks under the cam and then pushes down the valve to allow the follower to be moved in or out.

SV

Avispa

Established Member
Dang! Thanks guys. You saved from from having to take half a bottle of Xanax thinking about tearing down the whole front of the motor!

Then again, I am going to have to pull the lower intake and blower. I have no idea why Whipple couldn't put a removable intake elbow on their blowers to the passenger side valve train and injectors could be serviced, but that's small potatoes to having to pull the whole front of the motor off!

hotcobra03

Established Member
Thats alot of work on a guess..

Have you did any other testing..like different oil/filter

Have you thought to try just drivers first

Last edited:

Avispa

Established Member
Damn if an oil change and new filter didn't solve the problem, at least for now! Which side wasn't a guess, though. The old garden hose as a stethoscope trick clearly located the bad lash adjuster on the passenger side.

I owe ya one!:beer:

hotcobra03

Established Member
Damn if an oil change and new filter didn't solve the problem, at least for now! Which side wasn't a guess, though. The old garden hose as a stethoscope trick clearly located the bad lash adjuster on the passenger side.

I owe ya one!:beer:
What brand was old filter..there are known issues on a tick caused by filter

Tractionless1

Established Member
I wouldn't want the audible clacking in my Cobra for sure but I believe my '06 F250 does the same as you're describing. What's the problem with leaving it as is in my application? Any down the road damage etc?

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I wouldn't want the audible clacking in my Cobra for sure but I believe my '06 F250 does the same as you're describing. What's the problem with leaving it as is in my application? Any down the road damage etc?

A bad lash adjuster could pop the follower off and make the valves closes from the cam not opening them. This is exactly what happened to me. I took my Cam Cover off and found a follower just laying there on the head. I ordered a new lash adjuster and popped the follower on. Works like a charm now.

The lash adjuster is supposed to have some play in the 'nipple', but some force will be needed to move it. My adjuster where the follower fell off couldn't be moved at all, even in a vice. Lash adjusters are fairly cheap from Ford.

Tractionless1

Established Member
A bad lash adjuster could pop the follower off and make the valves closes from the cam not opening them. This is exactly what happened to me. I took my Cam Cover off and found a follower just laying there on the head. I ordered a new lash adjuster and popped the follower on. Works like a charm now.

The lash adjuster is supposed to have some play in the 'nipple', but some force will be needed to move it. My adjuster where the follower fell off couldn't be moved at all, even in a vice. Lash adjusters are fairly cheap from Ford.

Thanks for the schooling! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread