largest gear for a Auto car..

nordy racer

Established Member
hey guys, here is a question for you. what is the largest gear you have seen being ran in a N/A auto stang. I know a lot of people are running 410's but has anyone ran 430's? and which converter are they running? i'm not going to add a power adder anytime soon, so i'm looking at changing my set up..

thanks guys..

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Autos dont need anything more then 3:73, simply because the tranny gears, especially 1st second and 3rd are already geared low..any more then that and you will be doing your car a dis-service!!!

nordy racer

Established Member
so if that's true.. is there anyone out there running a car with 373 gears and a 5c converter?

scotmach

Established Member
There are guys running converters smaller than a 5C with stock gears and or 3.31's with better times. Out of curiosity have you thought about stepping down in gears? Are you trying to run better times or just looking for something else?

CharlieR

Established Member
so if that's true.. is there anyone out there running a car with 373 gears and a 5c converter?
Yes, not me, but saw a 5C converter'd 4.10 Geared '14 @ Track a few weeks ago. IMO by his MPH(119) his ET(11.10) is really close to max'd with that set-up(N/A, 5C, 4.10's, 28" tall 275/60/15's, No spin). On the same day I went 12.18@114(N/A, 3800 converter, 3.15's, 28.9" 305/45/18's, No spin) so his is way more efficient than mine.

Us power deprived people need to get our efficiency up, gear's and converters will do that. :D

nordy racer

Established Member
Well my converter is being retuned to me as a 5C after some problems (another story). So I wanted to see if I should switch out my 373 gears to 410s to get the best out of the converter or stay with my 373s. I'm not planning on adding anymore gofast parts this winter. If needed I'll get a boss intake and TB to help out the 410s.

nordy racer

Established Member
Yes, not me, but saw a 5C converter'd 4.10 Geared '14 @ Track a few weeks ago. IMO by his MPH(119) his ET(11.10) is really close to max'd with that set-up(N/A, 5C, 4.10's, 28" tall 275/60/15's, No spin). On the same day I went 12.18@114(N/A, 3800 converter, 3.15's, 28.9" 305/45/18's, No spin) so his is way more efficient than mine.

Us power deprived people need to get our efficiency up, gear's and converters will do that. :D

I was hoping for 11 flat or 10.99 with the 5c and 410s.

Tubra

Established Member
3:31s is all I can imagine going to. I have traction problems even with the 3.15s.

Need4Speed03

Established Member
I always thought 3.31's and a 5c with 28" tire was the best setup...until caspergt/jpc set the na bolt-on record with a 4.10 gear, 5c converter and a 27.8" tire. I think he ran a 10.78 with something like a 1.45 60ft. I know the conditions were sick but still damn impressive..that was also with the stock intake.

CharlieR

Established Member
I was hoping for 11 flat or 10.99 with the 5c and 410s.
I don't see it without changing anything else(your sig says 118mph so around 11.25 E.T. for your goal), playing with math to run 10.95 you'll need 120 mph power(or lose enough weight to trap 120) and EVERYTHING is going to have to be close to perfect(every shift on point, traction, ect) but if you want that E.T and aren't adding power it's the only way.

nordy racer

Established Member
I don't see it without changing anything else(your sig says 118mph so around 11.25 E.T. for your goal), playing with math to run 10.95 you'll need 120 mph power(or lose enough weight to trap 120) and EVERYTHING is going to have to be close to perfect(every shift on point, traction, ect) but if you want that E.T and aren't adding power it's the only way.

I think the car ha the power to trap 119 with the right cold air and track. So 120 can be done I think with the 5c I think. I guess I'll see what the car runs with the 373 and 5c then go from there on the chances I will do.

nordy racer

Established Member
Well, Nordy already has better times than you. Are you saying 4.10's are going to help him since that's what you have?

Thanks. I can't really complain on how my car runs. She is a beast with what I have done. I would think to that the gears would help me.

scotmach

Established Member
Thanks. I can't really complain on how my car runs. She is a beast with what I have done. I would think to that the gears would help me.

I agree your times are still very good and something to be proud of.:beer:

Give some more info on your car. I think you're running a 15x10 wheel and a 295/55-15 tire correct? What rpm's are you crossing at?

Last edited:

CharlieR

Established Member
I think the car ha the power to trap 119 with the right cold air and track. So 120 can be done I think with the 5c I think. I guess I'll see what the car runs with the 373 and 5c then go from there on the chances I will do.
Unless there was something really wrong with your other converter you won't gain any mph from the change. Well prep'd track on a good cold day will make you :)

Also if your track is well prepped and traction isn't an issue a shorter tire will have the same effect as a lower gear. So if you have 28's, you can run a 26 inch rear tire and have an effective ratio of about 4.10's(little less but...). So you could borrow some tires and see if 4.10's work for you.

nordy racer

Established Member
I agree your times are still very good and something to be proud of.:beer:

Give some more info on your car. I think you're running a 15x10 wheel and a 295/55-15 tire correct? What rpm's are you crossing at?

No I'm running a 275 60 15 tire. I can't remember what the rpm was but I am in fourth I know.

Thanks again on my ETs. Just wish I would have seen 11.40 or better before this switch.

nordy racer

Established Member
Unless there was something really wrong with your other converter you won't gain any mph from the change. Well prep'd track on a good cold day will make you :)

Also if your track is well prepped and traction isn't an issue a shorter tire will have the same effect as a lower gear. So if you have 28's, you can run a 26 inch rear tire and have an effective ratio of about 4.10's(little less but...). So you could borrow some tires and see if 4.10's work for you.

Well can't really talk about the converter until Chris and I get everything talked and fixed and under the bridge.
Also I'm running some really old drag tires and I have new (same size) tires about to be mounted. So maybe I can see if I can borrow a set at the track next weekend to see.
Maybe I'll just try some 430 gear then hahaha.

CharlieR

Established Member
Also I'm running some really old drag tires and I have new (same size) tires about to be mounted. So maybe I can see if I can borrow a set at the track next weekend to see.

Maybe I'll just try some 22x11-15 slicks then hahaha.
I took the liberty and fix'd this for you. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread