Lanching Advice...

HighTorque

Established Member
Launching Advice...

Ok so in stock form with my 14 Gt500 I managed a consistent 2.1 60' and 12.3 1/4 at 124mph. Every run I would launch at 3500 using launch control no issues other than massive tire spin.

Fast forward I now have BMR adjustable spherical UCA, poly LCA, Diff housing bushing, MGW Gen2 shifter, 17x9.5 Racestars on 305/45r17 Mt Et street R's.

I went to the track on sunday and was only able to get 3 runs in due to the crowd. First run launched as I used to bogged hard at start line still ran a 2.1 60'

second run launch control in sport mode hard bog again 2.1. Third run all assists turned off dumped clutch at about 4000 still bogged and ran a 2.0 60'.

What am I doing wrong or what do I need to do to cut a decent 60' im baffled. :fm:

Last edited:

Njtony

Established Member
Unless you get the car tuned the more traction you have , the more bog you will get. You might want to try coming out at low rpms such as 2k very quickly and then going to full throttle. The bog issue should not raise its head with the clutch being out. Two other benefits are that its very easy on the clutch and should get you 1.8 60 foot times without trying.

paluka21

Established Member
Only way to remedy it is with a tune bc of the electronic clutch protection. Stock tires it often won't rear it's ugly head. Drag radials with stock tune = frustration.

HighTorque

Established Member
I was hoping to avoid a tune but it seems as though that is my only option. How does a tuner remove that feature? Ive heard horror stories of over revs when you get tuned which can cause very bad engine problems.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I was hoping to avoid a tune but it seems as though that is my only option. How does a tuner remove that feature? Ive heard horror stories of over revs when you get tuned which can cause very bad engine problems.

Tuning out the clutch protection isn't going to cause over rev issues. The computer program is instructed to limit power application in order to avoid frying your clutch.

rwboring

Established Member
Tuning out the clutch protection isn't going to cause over rev issues. The computer program is instructed to limit power application in order to avoid frying your clutch.

just an FYI my stock clutch lasted about 1k miles after my clutch protection was turned off (21,000 miles) so be ready to put a clutch in if you tune it.

HighTorque

Established Member
just an FYI my stock clutch lasted about 1k miles after my clutch protection was turned off (21,000 miles) so be ready to put a clutch in if you tune it.

1,000 MILES :nonono:

THATS WHAT I WANT TO AVOID... WHAT CLUTCH DID YOU GO WITH FOR REPLACEMENT?

rwboring

Established Member
1,000 MILES :nonono:

THATS WHAT I WANT TO AVOID... WHAT CLUTCH DID YOU GO WITH FOR REPLACEMENT?

I went with SPEC... keep in mind (i dont recall the exact price off the top of my head) but I don't think the stock clutch and PP are over $400... they seem to be pretty "cheap" parts...

HighTorque

Established Member
Well ill cross that bridge when i get there i suppose. Did you have ford install your clutch for you or an aftermarket shop?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member

Running 3.31s with clutch protection off and sticky tires/drag use, kiss the stock clutch goodbye.
My stock clutch has close to 8-9 10 sec passes but I've had 4.10s since 1000 miles.
Listen to NJTony, he's spot on and proven it.
The clutch protection SUCKS with traction/sticky tire, but Ford knew it was needed to save the clutch from the long 3.31 rear gears, tall 2.66 first gear and 4000# weight with driver and what we all love, big torque.
-J

HighTorque

Established Member
running 3.31s with clutch protection off and sticky tires/drag use, kiss the stock clutch goodbye.
My stock clutch has close to 8-9 10 sec passes but i've had 4.10s since 1000 miles.
Listen to njtony, he's spot on and proven it.
The clutch protection sucks with traction/sticky tire, but ford knew it was needed to save the clutch from the long 3.31 rear gears, tall 2.66 first gear and 4000# weight with driver and what we all love, big torque.
-j

nice 10 sec passes what mods have you done?

rwboring

Established Member
Running 3.31s with clutch protection off and sticky tires/drag use, kiss the stock clutch goodbye.
My stock clutch has close to 8-9 10 sec passes but I've had 4.10s since 1000 miles.
Listen to NJTony, he's spot on and proven it.
The clutch protection SUCKS with traction/sticky tire, but Ford knew it was needed to save the clutch from the long 3.31 rear gears, tall 2.66 first gear and 4000# weight with driver and what we all love, big torque.
-J

Yeahhhh ive thought about gears and axles for a while now but i have some big financial obligations coming up soon... maybe I can talk the other half into getting me some gears for christmas :) retirement is more important then gears! haha

Users who are viewing this thread