LANCER EVO. TRIED ME..

ShapeGSX

Established Member
Originally posted by 351MachOne
The only way he got you was by launching his crap out that hard...

Keep in Mind.. MOTOR TREND was launching their evo at 5500RPMS!!! with 4wheel drive!! How long do you think that tranny/xfercase/diff will hold up? Not long at 5500 rpm launces... Whooptee dooo, You can still run him down after he tears the f' out of his car...

Not likely. My car has had 3rd gear fail (3rd gear drives the center differential). But that was after around 250 1/4mi passes, each with a 5000RPM launch. The Evo's transmission is MUCH stronger than the transmission in my car. The gear that I broke in my car is only about 3/4" wide. That same gear in the Evo is about 2" wide.

It is a very good transmission design.

Not to mention that my car is a good bit faster than a stock Evo.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Originally posted by ShapeGSX
Not likely. My car has had 3rd gear fail (3rd gear drives the center differential). But that was after around 250 1/4mi passes, each with a 5000RPM launch. The Evo's transmission is MUCH stronger than the transmission in my car. The gear that I broke in my car is only about 3/4" wide. That same gear in the Evo is about 2" wide.

It is a very good transmission design.

Not to mention that my car is a good bit faster than a stock Evo.

I have never heard anyone call a mitsu transmission a "good design." Kind of an oxymoron. Every mitsu I've owned has had transmission problems, both manual and auto.

ShapeGSX

Established Member
Originally posted by Sonic 03 Cobra
I have never heard anyone call a mitsu transmission a "good design." Kind of an oxymoron. Every mitsu I've owned has had transmission problems, both manual and auto.

Have you ever owned an Evo? My guess is no. The Evo's transmission is very strong. They radically changed the design since the days of the AWD Eclipse. When they moved the engine over to the other side of the engine bay, they were able to remove one of the 3 shafts in the transmission. That removed a failure point. The loss of that shaft also meant that the gears could be wider. In this case, MUCH wider.

It has been through 8 iterations in 10 years. They have worked out the weaknesses and fixed them.

Your experience with other Mitsubishi transmissions says nothing about the design of the Evo transmission. Hell, most issues people have with gears grinding in DSMs usually boil down to a mis-adjusted clutch or plain ol abuse.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Re: Re: LANCER EVO. TRIED ME..

Originally posted by arizona302
Face it, a good power to weight ratio and AWD means tough competition for any RWD car in a 0-60 street encounter.

You gotta admit that sounds like the beginning of every ricer argument :lol:

JettRink

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Shape, Granted some people are having problems here and there with modding Cobras, I have read more than once that Evo VIII's are having transmission problems. Now your knowledge on the Evo's surpasses mine by about 10 years of research and reading import tuners, I have never picked one up other than to look at the little japanese girls in them, case in point though, I'm sure of it that I can remember people reporting transmission issues early on with stock or near stock Evo's. JMTC.

Cobra4pt6

Banned
hey don't get to cocky mike5876, never judge a book by its cover. one day you go mess around and get your arse handed to you buy a tt porsche with a bump in boost...... also watchout for those supra twin turbos and mazda rx7's, there are lots of them scattered everywhere with a minimun of 675 rwhp.......

Steeltwo

Established Member
same old shit

different day

i'd put my 2 cents in, but i'm sure someone would tell me to go back to dsm.com again :rollseyes

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by Steeltwo
i'd put my 2 cents in, but i'm sure someone would tell me to go back to dsm.com again :rollseyes

Why is that? This is after all a SVT forum you surely don't expect us to claim the EVO is the be all to end all of sports cars do you? You have to admit it's

a. Ugly, box like with a stupid ineffectual tabletop wing
b. Over rated and hyped like nobodys business
c. Slow in stock form compared to Cobra, Vette etc..

The thread starter admitted to getting caught napping and that's about the only way an EVO will take out a Cobra. And heaven forbid the twisties argument comes up cause face it how often will that opportunity ever come up?

RSXFMCJWR

Benchracer Extraordinaire
Established Member
Originally posted by SnkBtn99
A Lancer is still only a Lancer ....

Even though it has a different motor, suspension, driveline, body, chassis, ect.:rollseyes Just in case you forgot, the evo came before the american lancer.

Last edited:

RSXFMCJWR

Benchracer Extraordinaire
Established Member
Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
Why is that? This is after all a SVT forum you surely don't expect us to claim the EVO is the be all to end all of sports cars do you? You have to admit it's

b. Over rated and hyped like nobodys business
c. Slow in stock form compared to Cobra, Vette etc..

The thread starter admitted to getting caught napping and that's about the only way an EVO will take out a Cobra. And heaven forbid the twisties argument comes up cause face it how often will that opportunity ever come up?

a. The cobra is more boxy than the evo, so I have no clue what kind of car you are thinking of.
b. It is not over rated at all.
c. It is not meant to be a vette/viper/lamborgini killer, its meant to be an import killer(put those turbo civic owners in thier place). By no way is it a slow car though.

It sound to me like alot of domestic owners are just upset that 4 bangers can now hang with V-8s.:cryying: A 99 gt owner thought the same way you guys do untill I smoked his car in the evo. But he was cool about it and we pulled into a parking lot to check out eachothers rides. He told me that he was surprised by the evo's quickness. But like I said, he was a cool about it(unlike some people on this board).

Turd

Established Member
I am new to the V8 world and before I picked up my 94 Cobra I had a Galant VR4, modded of course. I can tell you that the EVO is nothing to sneeze at.

Yes they run 13.6-13.8 stock. 2 liters of stockness. Plus they are about 6-8 grand less than the cobra at sticker.

There is a local guy running 12.48 in his slightly modded ($1500 in mods) EVO VIII. That's a 12.48 in a four banger.

The 03 Cobra is a monster, but I think most of the people on this board that are bashing the EVO have never owned a turbo charged import. I respect them because I have owned one and know what they are capable of.

Here's proof of my point: $1700 in mods (not the same guy as above)

http://www.automotosports.com/media/evo_viii_1200.wmv

ShapeGSX

Established Member

Actually, the wing is functional. Just like the latest Cobra R's wing is functional. The Evo's wing is an inverted airfoil. It is high (just like the Cobra R's wing) to catch the airflow coming over the high roofline.

If it wasn't a high wing, then it wouldn't be functional or effective. But since it is high, it actually does something.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by Turd
There is a local guy running 12.48 in his slightly modded ($1500 in mods) EVO VIII. That's a 12.48 in a four banger.
[/url]

Herein lies the problem. I have approx $1,800 in actual mods excluding tuning costs rims/tires. As my car sits it's a mid 11sec capable car although the tracks around me suck, am at high altitude and well my driving could be better. Still though my best is a 12.40 at a 3000' elevation track.

That 12.48 evo would not run a 12.48 at the same track more likely a 13.0. Since we all don't race in the same location comparisons are difficult and generalizations are made. One EVO on the planet runs a 12 and 90% of the kids will think their EVO is that fast ergo my hype comment. Stock for stock the Cobra is faster. Throw enough money at anything and it'll be faster. But as another said an EVO is still a Lancer and does absolutely nothing for me.

And RSXFMCJWR you know better than to compare a 200RWHP "maybe" GT to a 390+ RWHP Cobra. That's like saying I beat a C5 so I know I can beat a Z06. Not trying to flame but come on.

blacknight07607

Tailgating State
Established Member
Bottom line, Stock vs Stock. the Evo would get pissed on every time whether from a launch or a roll. But I personally believe it can be a bit of a problem for the Cobra if it was tuned right.

For example;

Upgraded Turbo
Boost Controller
Chip

I mean, between the two, the Evo is only down 120hp and can be easily achieved with the mods listed above. But I'm not sure how much the Torque would improve. So a modded Evo would have a better chance from a roll than rather being bitten by the venemous snake from a launch.

Turd

Established Member
Herein lies the problem. I have approx $1,800 in actual mods excluding tuning costs rims/tires. As my car sits it's a mid 11sec capable car although the tracks around me suck, am at high altitude and well my driving could be better. Still though my best is a 12.40 at a 3000' elevation track.

That 12.48 evo would not run a 12.48 at the same track more likely a 13.0. Since we all don't race in the same location comparisons are difficult and generalizations are made. One EVO on the planet runs a 12 and 90% of the kids will think their EVO is that fast ergo my hype comment. Stock for stock the Cobra is faster. Throw enough money at anything and it'll be faster. But as another said an EVO is still a Lancer and does absolutely nothing for me.

And RSXFMCJWR you know better than to compare a 200RWHP "maybe" GT to a 390+ RWHP Cobra. That's like saying I beat a C5 so I know I can beat a Z06. Not trying to flame but come on.

Actually turbo charged cars aren't affected very much by altitude and would actually have an advantage the higher you go. I understand the personal preference that someone would have for a Cobra. But my message is directed to those that don't understand the capabilities of these cars.

I also understand the throw enough money at it comment , and this also is true. But as I mentioned for a 28k sticker you can't deny that the performance value of the EVO is pretty high.

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
They can take any model mustang gt and they can take my car in near stock form. I would probably need headers exhaust just to be sure and so would the gt. That in my eyes makes them a force to reckon with. Their are only a handfull of Fords & Chevys ever made from the factory that can touch it.

Now I don't think they are near the car an 03 Cobra or Z06 is however they do impress me with all they have to offer.

And the one at my track ran 13.2 @ 106 with exhaust and cai. The mph tells me that they are slightly restricted from the factory.

Turd

Established Member
Originally posted by project626
Bottom line, Stock vs Stock. the Evo would get pissed on every time whether from a launch or a roll. But I personally believe it can be a bit of a problem for the Cobra if it was tuned right.

For example;

Upgraded Turbo
Boost Controller
Chip

I mean, between the two, the Evo is only down 120hp and can be easily achieved with the mods listed above. But I'm not sure how much the Torque would improve. So a modded Evo would have a better chance from a roll than rather being bitten by the venemous snake from a launch.

Actually it's the other way around. On street tires an AWD launch is just sickening. The Cobra would take the race up top without any question, but that is why stock for stock the Evo has a better 0-60. It's not about torque, it's about traction.

Users who are viewing this thread