lakewood traction bars

juddyj

04svt-racer
Established Member
Anybody know if lakewood is going to build the traction bars for the svt, and whats all this about them not fitting with the stock header?

svo_dave

Established Member
elliot400 said:
Again, no clue, I'd love a set. What exactly do they do? E-

I think basically all a fwd traction bar does is preload the front suspension for better launches, but something like that might make me worry about daily driving with it, and the thing doesn't fit our cars anyways. Also I am convinced that our cars can pull of a 1.8 60' without traction bar, just have to figure out how to make a 15" wheel fit.

elliot400

Certifiable SVT Poster
Established Member
One guy had JDM Mazda 626 15" rims put on a lathe to scrape some inner rim off. He runs a turbo SVTF in Albany, pretty fast I hear. That's a little too much work and risk for me. I have half a mind to replace the front brakes with stock Focus brakes so 14" and 15" will fit. But then stopping becomes and issue. E-

JAYMONEY

Established Member
I think if you can get a low profile 16" slick, it could probably work as well. Years ago, I've seen a 13 sec. '92 or '93 Capri XR-7 with low profile slicks. (Couldn't get much of a tire on those little 2 seaters) I'm not sure what brand they were though.

svo_dave

Established Member
elliot400 said:
One guy had JDM Mazda 626 15" rims put on a lathe to scrape some inner rim off. He runs a turbo SVTF in Albany, pretty fast I hear. That's a little too much work and risk for me. I have half a mind to replace the front brakes with stock Focus brakes so 14" and 15" will fit. But then stopping becomes and issue. E-

I plan on either trying to take a bit of material away frm svt calipers so the 15" focus wagon wheels will fit, or just switch to stock zx3 brakes. A regular zx3 stops pretty decent, so I don't think there will be much of a loss in stopping power by switching.

Primaris

Established Member
svo_dave said:
I plan on either trying to take a bit of material away frm svt calipers so the 15" focus wagon wheels will fit, or just switch to stock zx3 brakes. A regular zx3 stops pretty decent, so I don't think there will be much of a loss in stopping power by switching.

You should be fine for normal driving with the ZX3 brakes. Normal means like a regular person drives not an enthusiast. The ZX3 brakes are completely unacceptable for track use (real tracks those with turns in them :p ) and will suffer fade during spirited driving. They should also be fine for quarter mile run stops.

Venom_Injected

Established Member
omg! iv also been wondering this and put the same post on focaljet.
yes they preload the lower control arms and boy do i need them really bad.
they dont fit because the svt header is so low that it hits the main brace bar that runs from the front to rear of the sub-frame. they just installed one in the new focus mag. im going to buy one and make it fit one way or another. like i said, i need it. i got baaaaddddd axle hop coming out of the hole. and it just got worse with d.r.'s. and i dont ever see an svtf hittin 1.8 60fts without breaking the getrag, imo.

elliot400

Certifiable SVT Poster
Established Member
I say have a shop rebend the header to clear it, I think there is enough room there to tuck the header up closer to the block. Venom, how do you like that PhantomGrip insert, worth it? E-

svo_dave

Established Member
Venom_Injected said:
omg! iv also been wondering this and put the same post on focaljet.
yes they preload the lower control arms and boy do i need them really bad.
they dont fit because the svt header is so low that it hits the main brace bar that runs from the front to rear of the sub-frame. they just installed one in the new focus mag. im going to buy one and make it fit one way or another. like i said, i need it. i got baaaaddddd axle hop coming out of the hole. and it just got worse with d.r.'s. and i dont ever see an svtf hittin 1.8 60fts without breaking the getrag, imo.

Wre I got the 1.8 from is several of my buddy's with honda's are getting 1.8 60's with open diff, slicks, no traction bars or nothing. Also for some reason I thought some of the quicker zx3's were getting those kind of 60's with slicks. Also with a lsd installed you still think tranny would grenade? But yeah like on the Honda's I've worked on we just stiffin back shocks up to firmest settings, keep the fronts about 1/2 way through adjustment, and heat up the slicks. Like a friend of mines car ran a 12.8 @107, and he was launching at like 6500-7000 rpm with no wheel spin, and his tranny is fine, I wouldn't think that a prelude tranny is that much stronger than what we got?

Venom_Injected

Established Member
i like the phantom grip, works great. the problem w/ gettin a 1.8 with a getrag is not only its weakness, but more that TALLLLL first gear. u just cant get out of the hole that fast with that long of a first gear.

JAYMONEY

Established Member
Venom_Injected said:
i like the phantom grip, works great. the problem w/ gettin a 1.8 with a getrag is not only its weakness, but more that TALLLLL first gear. u just cant get out of the hole that fast with that long of a first gear.
VERY TRUE.

Primaris

Established Member
LOL, look at who your talking to! I think true race cars go fast in a straight line AND in the turns :p

But for drag racing you cannot beat the consistency of an auto.

Users who are viewing this thread