Lake Country pad disintigration.

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
I bought a 6 pack of LC pads. The second time I used them, the white pad started coming apart. I was on speed 6 of the Porter Cable, using Meg's #7 polish. I was trying to apply the right amount of pressure so the pad was spinning but not spinning excessively. I noticed that some white stuff was flying off the pad and stopped. I looked at the pad and the backing was peeling back. I washed it and now I'm waiting it to dry but I was thinking maybe I'd try some superglue and see what happens. Can't hurt right?
Has anyone had the LC pads and pad backing peel off?
Thanks,
Steve

pads.jpg

futureSVT

Established Member
ive never seen that before (i dont own any of their pads) but where did you buy them? and have you washed them before?

Jim D.

Established Member
Some insight into how you washed, rinsed and dried them -- and how long ago this was -- would probably give some insight into the problem.

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
I bought them from Autogeek. I washed them once before the problem. The picture was taken after the 2nd wash. I hand wash them with some Palmolive Eco crap that my gf bought. I was thinking since it was "green" or environmentally safe or whatever that it would be good. I guess not. but I lay them on towels, velcro side up, to dry. Next time I'll use the Meg's carwash stuff I have.

Deep&Wet

Established Member
i never use a PC at speed 6, unneccesary. if you aren't seeing results move the machine slower,

and i have never seen that happen. wherever you bought them should allow a refund or direct exchange.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
lol a PC at speed 6 is the only way to get results with one. Not like you can do much cut with a PC @ 6 with even the most abrasive pad/product combo anyways. Running at 4 and 5 must take days to do a single detail with even the best product. Talk about getting to England on a rowboat.

Delamination like that occurs when you use Dish soap as a pad cleaning agent. Use DP pad restorer (or other products designed specifically for this purpose) and delamination of the velcro material should not occur. That pad is still perfectly fine to use, you lost 2-3% of the velcro mating surface.........youre still good to go.

Last edited:

Deep&Wet

Established Member
lol a PC at speed 6 is the only way to get results with one. Not like you can do much cut with a PC @ 6 with even the most abrasive pad/product combo anyways. Running at 4 and 5 must take days to do a single detail with even the best product. Talk about getting to England on a rowboat.

i feel really sorry for you. thats just so incorrect it's not even funny. i agree if you dont know how to use the machine properly you wont get good results, but ive corrected the hardest paints(corvette, mercedes, aftermarket) as well as wetsanded and buffed after a whole car paintjob with my PC. i can easily remove 1200 grit sanding marks. a rotary is faster, but a i can correct paint on a car without going above speed 5 on my 3 year old PC.

Bootie

Established Member
Delamination like that occurs when you use Dish soap as a pad cleaning agent. Use DP pad restorer (or other products designed specifically for this purpose) and delamination of the velcro material should not occur. That pad is still perfectly fine to use, you lost 2-3% of the velcro mating surface.........youre still good to go.

I've used simple green for years with no problems. I don't like to buy specialty things when I can make something multi-task. The only thing I've had a problem with is a Lake Country backing plate coming apart, which reminds me that I need to buy another one.

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
As far as speed goes, I've read a lot on forums, Meguairs/autopia/autogeek/etc, and watched vids on youtube and it seems like most places say use speed 5-6. I don't see how there can be a large difference between the two and 6 works well for me. For polishing anyways.
So I emailed lake country and autogeek. Both places offered to send me a new pad, which is great customer service, seeing as how it was most likely my fault in the first place. I've never been accused of being smart. Either way, I love these pads and I'm going to continue to use them for all my detailing. You can't beat the pads or the service.
The lesson is, wash them with the proper product.

E

2008 SVTP RPS Champ
Established Member
i had this problem but it was after quite a few uses not just 2. i say email autogeek and talk to them. they are very good at taking care of their customers

Jim D.

Established Member
One problem I've seen with foam pads or Mothers PowerBall products or even towels -- you must wash gently, but thoroughly, and rinse thoroughly.

Gently squeeze foam products damp-dry with an absorbent towel, and then let air dry thoroughly for several days before storage. Squeeze again to be sure they're dry just to be sure.

Most products and some soaps can degrade foam and fibers.

Users who are viewing this thread