Laguna Seca

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Who's been on track there?
Anyone local to there?

Bought my ticket today for Gridlife out there, 3rd weekend in October. It's no sound restriction on Friday and Saturday, so I won't be black flagged!

1689253022285.png

Last edited:

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I have turned a wheel there, once, ~30 years ago. Quite an experience. Im sure it would be a favorite, if it wasn't 3000+ miles away, and according to Google, a 48 hour drive. Over my racing career, I limited my travel to ~12 hours (when going to the Florida tracks, or longer trips I had others transport the car).

Is there really NO sound limit? Our tracks up here like Lime Rock, an unmuffled event still has a 103db limit.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have turned a wheel there, once, ~30 years ago. Quite an experience. Im sure it would be a favorite, if it wasn't 3000+ miles away, and according to Google, a 48 hour drive. Over my racing career, I limited my travel to ~12 hours (when going to the Florida tracks, or longer trips I had others transport the car).

Is there really NO sound limit? Our tracks up here like Lime Rock, an unmuffled event still has a 103db limit.

The organizations pay extra to get it. There's typically 3 or 4 a year...with IMSA and Indy buying 2.

Not necessarily a once in a lifetime opportunity, but damn close!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Still a newb just trying to get out of rookie class but I stick with the road courses

Rotating shifts and a little one severely limit my free time

Totally understand.

I'll race every once in a while on there...I mostly use the Time Trial stuff and practicing different tracks. I spend most of my time on Assetto Corsa driving local tracks.

Blown 89

Established Member
This is the opening lap of the corkscrew nationals. The footage is shaky because i had an off track incident that loosened the front fairing. Disregard the lack of aggressiveness, it was a random grid start and we were asked to behave to avoid yellow flags on the first few corners. There were 44 karts this race and I finished 8th. To speed was 108. It's been a while so i don't recall the exact lap times but we were in the low 1:30's under miserable conditions. With our new engines and better conditions we should break into the 20's when we return in 2024.

How did you guys manage no sound restrictions?

If you're looking for a place to stay, try and stay at their campground. It was one of the nicest I've ever stayed. The views are incredible and no commute on race day is worth it

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Is that the track with the corkscrew turn that drops in altitude?
Yes, really worried about bottoming out actually... but we'll see.

This is the opening lap of the corkscrew nationals. It's been a while so i don't recall the exact lap times but we were in the low 1:30's under miserable conditions. With our new engines and better conditions we should break into the 20's when we return in 2024.

How did you guys manage no sound restrictions?

If you're looking for a place to stay, try and stay at their campground. It was one of the nicest I've ever stayed. The views are incredible and no commute on race day is worth it

I'm trying to get a buddy with a toterhome to come with.... @JJackson515 ....but he has other obligations as of yet.

My plan is to hire someone to haul my trailer out, I'll fly out and get a rental car and stay at a hotel.

Laguna has 3 or 4 weekends that they don't have sound restrictions a year. IMSA and Indy both buy one...then usually the others are purchased by Ferrari Challenge, etc. Gridlife got lucky. They've been working on it for years and were finally able to make it happen. Tickets sold out almost as fast as the Taylor Swift tour tickets.

I could only watch about 10 seconds of your video before I felt like my head was going to fall off my shoulders. With your better motors and the new paved surface, I'd say you're right. I'm shooting for a 26/27. Possibly faster, it'll really just depend on how quickly I can get comfortable with pushing there.

Blown 89

Established Member
You shouldn't bottom out on the corkscrew unless you really buff it over the inside kerb, its the kink on Rahal Straight you have to work about. There was a pretty nasty dip there.

That's crazy that it sells out that fast. We're having a hard time filling the grid.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You shouldn't bottom out on the corkscrew unless you really buff it over the inside kerb, its the kink on Rahal Straight you have to work about. There was a pretty nasty dip there.

That's crazy that it sells out that fast. We're having a hard time filling the grid.

I think I'll be ok there now. When they repaved it in May they built that up a little! With the splitter and the diffuser...my car is pretty damn long, so the change of elevation of the corkscrew makes me nervous, hopefully it's for nothing.

Yeah. Gridlife is an awesome organization. It's mostly NE/East cost stuff, but they're starting to expand. It's a god damned party haha I'm 99% sure this is one of their festivals; they'll have time attack, racing, HPDEs, drifting, and then a big ass concert.

ToddW702

Established Member
I was there a few years ago. That and Sonoma are my favorites and the elevation changes are a blast. Staying flat through the kink in the straight took me some time to get enough courage to do it. There are some trees to mark your aim going into the corkscrew because you can’t see shit like going off a cliff. Well maybe not that dramatic but it’s really fun.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I was there a few years ago. That and Sonoma are my favorites and the elevation changes are a blast. Staying flat through the kink in the straight took me some time to get enough courage to do it. There are some trees to mark your aim going into the corkscrew because you can’t see shit like going off a cliff. Well maybe not that dramatic but it’s really fun.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

I'm a big fan of elevation, I can't freaking wait haha

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Beautiful track, clean and flows well. Was there in 2010. If you frequent tracks with little elevation, this will be fun! Congratulations!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Beautiful track, clean and flows well. Was there in 2010. If you frequent tracks with little elevation, this will be fun! Congratulations!

We have a track here that was just finished a year or so ago that has massive elevation changes. Laguna has 300ft in a lap, Ozark International Raceway has just over 1200 feet. It's insane!

blk02edge

Established Member
I'm a big fan of elevation, I can't freaking wait haha
You need to try and get to the Ridge in Seattle then... wild elevation, beautiful track (much better than Laguna) then come up to Area27

I'd say make a western tour out of your trip if you can!

Users who are viewing this thread