Lacking TQ down low. Need Help

kcsburk

Established Member
My car feels very sluggish down low. I would like to know if this is normal for a car with only a cai and a catback? If not, how can I figure out what is causing the problem. After about 2500rpms it feels OK for the mods I have but below 2500rpms its a slug.

What other solutions are available? Would a predator stock tune correct my problem?

I had a 2001 Bullitt with a 4:10 gear and Long tubes that would smoke my Cobra out of the hole. I am looking for that kind of TQ from my Cobra if not better.

tv's 03

Established Member
Try putting 4.10's in the cobra with a solid axle and report back.

Your bullitt had a t3650 trans with a 3.37 1st gear, coupled with a 4.10 rear and a steel flywheel. It also weighs about 200 or more pounds less. Your cobra has a 2.66 1st gear with 3:55 rear and aluminum flywheel. There is a big difference in tq multiplication there

BTW, that bullitt might beat the cobra out of the hole, and then would get smoked silly after that.

But if you do the math, you will see why the bullitt came out of the hole faster

Anyway, why are you launching your car below 2500 rpm anyway? That is right where I lauch mine slipping the clutch and have pulled a 1.99 60' time on the goodyears

Last edited:

DSG03Cobra

Established Member
I had the exact same feelings. I put on my JLT CAI, and it felt good, but when I put on my Borla Stingers, it felt like my bottom end took a crap or something. It's all gotta do with airflow and pressure. Basically, since you made the exhaust more free flowing w/o compensating and increasing the incoming airflow, the engine doesn't get enough back pressure in the low end. That's where the low end loss comes from. (I'm sure someone else can explain it better, but you should at least get the idea.)

I can tell you what fixed mine...it's a small thing about 2.76 inches in diameter, and is sold by BilletFlow. :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: Found the low end again, plus a crapload more!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread