L wont stay running, please help!

95cobby

Established Member
So I pulled out of the driveway and went about 200 yards before it felt like the truck just died however it was still running. I pulled over and put it in park. The idle was very rough and below 1000. When I would try to give it gas it would stall. It will start but it will not rev or get above 1000 and when I try to give it gas it will stall. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this? I was thinking vac but I'm not sure yet. Going back outside to check all the vac lines...

95cobby

Established Member
Checked the codes, only thing that came up was P1000 Monitor check not comp.

I drove it this morning and it was fine. Got back in it a few hours later and this happened.

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
It kind of sounds like fuel, but with out hearing it, its hard to say. Like fade said could be a MAF. If you have a video cam and do a walk around while its running then were just guessing. Do you have a fuel gauge ?

95cobby

Established Member
Yea I'll take a vid and get it posted up.

Some more detail.. Filled up with Sunoco 93 on thursday and went through a quarter tank so far. It takes a few cranks than normal to start up and it chugges a lot at about 500rpm. I looked at all the vac lines and it looks like everything is plugged in and the maf looks good too.

When I try to give it gas it wants to stall and sometimes it actually does. If I don't give it any gas it just chugges and sounds like its barely able to run.

I'll have to get a fuel gauge and check that out. The vac/boost gauge says its makin vac but what is a better way to check it? I'll have to get some pics up but could the black ball thingy that is on the back driver side of the plenium of went bad? Fuel filter clogged? Just put the FTVB on last week and I love it but I dont think that has anything to do with it.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
List any/all mods you have. Did you do any WOT blasts earlier today? If so it could be plugs. When was the last fuel filter change? Look at the maf to see if it has any dirt/oil on it.

Check the TPS setting, the vacuum line that goes over the EGR tube on the drivers side-sometimes they fall onto the tube and get melted, make sure the Maf is plugged in properly as well. Look up under the front bumper and see if the ceramic resistor is in tact. Reset the PCM via disconnecting the battery for ~15 minutes and see what happens. If all this shows no joy then the next thing to do is check fuel pressure at idle and with the fuel pump relay jumped.

StrangeHighways

Established Member
this happened to me also,turned out to be a small piece of rubber from the K&N filter hit the wire on the meter and melted take a look anyway

Mondo1

Established Member
Don't over look the obvious. If you've already checked the MAF,then lets first make sure your getting fuel.A handheld f/p gauge on the schrader valve on the fuel rail should take care of that. Next, has your fuel filter been changed recently? If you have over 40K on the odom, it could also be your fuel pump lines in the tank. By the way you decribe this, it sounds like a fuel issue for sure.

95cobby

Established Member
Just bought before the 4th of this month. It is stock besides some flows and ftvb. I'll check the fuel pressure tomorrow morning, what should it be at for stock? I'll replace the fuel filter also just to make sure. Will also re-check the maf, what should I clean it with? Que-tip and what?

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
95cobby said:
So I pulled out of the driveway and went about 200 yards before it felt like the truck just died however it was still running. I pulled over and put it in park. The idle was very rough and below 1000. When I would try to give it gas it would stall. It will start but it will not rev or get above 1000 and when I try to give it gas it will stall. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this? I was thinking vac but I'm not sure yet. Going back outside to check all the vac lines...

If you have a chip. Make sure it's tight.

j0hn

Established Member
Had the same problem once, and somehow a piece of thread or something got caught up in the MAF.

Made it idle really bad, and it drove terribly until about 1500rpm, after that it stalled but was driveable.

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
95cobby said:
Just bought before the 4th of this month. It is stock besides some flows and ftvb. I'll check the fuel pressure tomorrow morning, what should it be at for stock? I'll replace the fuel filter also just to make sure. Will also re-check the maf, what should I clean it with? Que-tip and what?

CRC MAF CLEANER

AND DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT use a qtip to clean it...you dont want to touch the MAF sensor leads with anything...jsut give it a couple spritz's with the MAF cleaner, let it dry and put it all back together....

95cobby

Established Member
bgstew6 said:
CRC MAF CLEANER

AND DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT use a qtip to clean it...you dont want to touch the MAF sensor leads with anything...jsut give it a couple spritz's with the MAF cleaner, let it dry and put it all back together....

Alright thanks, yea I thought the qtip was a bad idea but I heard it somewhere else on the boards.

LIGHTNING LARRY said:
If you have a chip. Make sure it's tight.

No chip, its pretty much stock.

Anyone know what the fuel pressure should be at idle?

Last edited:

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
you can also use a shot of brake cleaner for the MAF, as for the fuel pressure it should be about 60 psi.

edit: come to think of it, 60 is at wot i think, not sure about idle, around 40 but not 100% on that.

Last edited:

95cobby

Established Member
Alright I'll clean the maf, change the fuel filter, and check fuel pressure first thing in the morning. What can I use to clean the maf connector, as in the electrical plugs to it.

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
did a search for you, looks like you should be around 32-42 psi at idle from what people said. as for the connectors, you can get some spray cleaner at an auto parts store.

Users who are viewing this thread