L&M throttle body results

sprint200

Established Member
While I got nowhere near the gains some have said they've seen, I can honestly say my L&M runs perfectly without a re-tune. Now I have just a mild stage II setup, so no surprise really in not seeing huge gains, but again it does at least run fine on the stock TB parameters.

What a lot of people don't seem to understand is that even though the '07-'09 cars look the same and even though there were no major driveline changes (save the flywheel, input shaft fiasco), the one thing that changed fairly significantly from '07 to '08 was the factory tune!

My guess would be that most people who have had trouble with the L&M and their existing tune (aftermarket or OE) were owners of '07 cars. Again, just my guess as I don't care to spend the time to verify the hypothesis.

91svtbird

Established Member
As an experiment, I borrowed an L&M TB for the Mid-America Meet last month to see what difference it would make, SOTP-wise, on a car with my set-up. I have a 2007 GT500 with a ported OE blower and elbow, 2.65" upper pulley, C&L CAI, VMP 91 oct tune, Lethal O/R x-pipe, & a 3.73 TruTrac.

I installed the TB and the car would run okay at WOT, but as soon as it went to idle speed or I tried low speed (parking lot) maneuvers it would go into limp mode. The 2007 tunes had very tight parameters for the TB positioning and the difference in the amount of air flow vs. rpm vs. fuel input was all screwed up. Had to call Lund and cut/paste that section of the tune into mine just to get the car to run properly. I was still never happy about how slowly it returned to idle speeds after lifting off the peddle.

So the "No Tune Needed" sh*t is just that.....SH*T!

That being said, I saw 3 psi more boost than with the stock TB! So I am not nearly as skeptical about the OP's claims. As others have said, it just depends on how restricted the system is to begin with.:beer:

All due respect Jeff but I see that you already had a custom VPM tune with and aftermarket C&L mass air meter which means that the mass air transfer functions were changed as well as other parameters. So how can you say that the L&M needed a tune when you were not using stock Ford settings to begin with but instead relying on a tune that had already been changed to who knows what parameters.
Any car that has an aftermarket SCT tune in it will in most cases have enough changes made to it to cause problems when a TB is swapped out especially if that tuner uses short term fuel trims to alter the mass air transfer functions. Another thing that is often tamperd with by the "well known" SCT tuners is the driver demand tables. This will definetly have an adverse affect on proper TB oppertion.

sprint200

Established Member
All due respect Jeff but I see that you already had a custom VPM tune with and aftermarket C&L mass air meter which means that the mass air transfer functions were changed as well as other parameters. So how can you say that the L&M needed a tune when you were not using stock Ford settings to begin with but instead relying on a tune that had already been changed to who knows what parameters.
Any car that has an aftermarket SCT tune in it will in most cases have enough changes made to it to cause problems when a TB is swapped out especially if that tuner uses short term fuel trims to alter the mass air transfer functions. Another thing that is often tamperd with by the "well known" SCT tuners is the driver demand tables. This will definetly have an adverse affect on proper TB oppertion.

I am not versed, nor do I care to be, in the technical details of the computer programming in these cars. I say that it needed a re-tune because it did. This TB is being marketed as a "plug & play" piece, completely interchangeable with the OE TB, and that it will not affect the operability of the car. There is no distinction made between "bone stock" cars and lightly modified cars when they state "No Tune Required".

If that is not what is intended to be promoted, then the marketing needs to be changed appropriately, imo.

I have never tried to hide the fact that I had a VMP tune. I was very deliberate in stating this in my post. In fact, in phone conversations this was made clear as well and we were still told that a re-tune would not be required; which simply isn't the case.

You have known me for some time and know that I'm not a "loose canon" with words on the internet (for which reason, I'm sure, you tempered your response to me:beer:). I simply believe that there is unnecessary ambiguity in the marketing of this excellent product.

Other than that, like I said, I thought the added performance on the track (in late-June Oklahoma air) was pretty incredible:coolman:

I look forward to the opprtunity to let you teach me the "line" around Limerock some day:rockon:

blackshelby

The way we tired to market the TB from day one is all around the ford tunes and always stated that.
(If it was taken any other way I do apologize for that it wasn't meant to be)

If an aftermarket tune is in the car all bets are off and that tune might be needed to be tweak.

If your running a Ford stock or procal setup its plug and play.

If your running an aftermarket tune with a stock TB it might be plug and play and it might not be, it all depends what the tuner did in that program.

If your running a TB with brass gears is definitely not a plug and play.

Hope this clears it up some.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread