L&M cams, anyone have these?

408LIGHTNING

Established Member
I'm leaning towards the jlp stage 3 cams but just heard the L&M stage 4 cams and dam do they sound badass. My setup is going to be jlp stage 3 heads 2.2kb and jlp plenum. I really like how the l&m cams sound but if the jlp ones make more power i'de rather go with jlp. Any input is helpful thanks

02REDSVT

alienfreek
Established Member
Go with JLP. There have been some guys running L&M with success, and some not. JLPs stuff seems to be proven time and time again if you compare the numbers. Dont buy into hype. Go with what already works and you will be happy and it'll be easier to tune.

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
Buying cams based on sound is kinda goofy. Cam selection is based on so many variables. I favor much milder cams than either of your choices.

Jim

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
If you are installing cams for the old school sound, would you still considered it goofy?????

Books have been written on the science of cam design and selection. But if you want to compromise the performance of your ride for a "cool sound" it is your money. Everyone has their own priorities.

Jim

408LIGHTNING

Established Member
Buying cams based on sound is kinda goofy. Cam selection is based on so many variables. I favor much milder cams than either of your choices.

Jim

I said I really liked how the l&m sounded but if there is something that performs better that would be my choice. Looks like I'm going with the jlp.

oilwell1415

Established Member
My experience with off-brand cams is that they usually arrive in a Comp Cams box with a vendor sticker on it. You may find that the L&M cams are actually from someone reputable with a little research.

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
My experience with off-brand cams is that they usually arrive in a Comp Cams box with a vendor sticker on it. You may find that the L&M cams are actually from someone reputable with a little research.

L+M IS reputable. Mike knows his stuff. But the Lightnings I have seen with his cams are having some difficulties tuning for drivability. They have made good peak power on the dyno. But I would not be willing to work with the troublesome street manners.

Jim

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
For us guys looking for a rough idle, buying based upon sound is fine. Not everything is about getting down the 1320 and/or making the most out of your setup. But i understand your point.

The huge amount of hp/tq i gains was a plus.

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
For us guys looking for a rough idle, buying based upon sound is fine. Not everything is about getting down the 1320 and/or making the most out of your setup. But i understand your point.

The huge amount of hp/tq i gains was a plus.

Your ability to cover up some shortcomings of a radical cam choice with the clutch makes a big difference!

Users who are viewing this thread