L.E.O's Only Please

SPXTrader

Certified Loon
Established Member
OK, to make a long story short...My GF's 17 year old son was walking home Dec 23 from a friend's house, three blocks away. Nice middle class neighborhood. He's a good kid, no problems with anything. Captain of his HS wrestling team, clean cut, good student, etc...

So at 12:05 AM he's walking down the road, gets stopped by a County Deputy. The questions start: Where are you going? Home. Where have you been? My friends house. Where is that? Right there (points to a house about a block and a half away). Do you have any weapons or drugs on you? No Sir. May I search you? Yes Sir. Kid gets searched, pat down etc, and the LEO says: Place your hands behind your back. Why? For your safety. Get in the car. Why? did I do something wrong? No, I'm taking you home. Kid is cuffed, in the back seat, and is driven about 75 yards to his front door (you can see one house from the other). Never called it in or asked for a SSN/Want Warrant check. LEO opens the door, lets him out and un-cuffs him, doesn't say a word and drives off.

First, we have a 2 AM curfew (midnight if your driving for minors), so no violation there. He comes in the house, and tells Mom the story and she goes ballistic!

She has asked me to ask you guys what happened (she knows I visit here often). She'd like to know how to handle this, she is mad as hell and wants some answers.

Any and all suggestions/comments are welcome.

Thanks...........

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
First off, no one here knows what happened, there are too many variables. I dont know what she wants to handle, but if she wants to know what happened and why he was delivered home, she should call the sheriffs office and ask to speak to the watch commander for that time frame. If the kid was transported I would hope the deputy called it in.

But please remember "good kids" with no history have often just not been caught doing stupid stuff.

kwwhite1

Established Member
1205am walking at night by yourself? i would have stopped him also and asked the same questions, that is prime auto burglary time. Also some agencies make it mandatory to transport all people in cuffs. there have been a few officers killed by not cuffing people in the back of cars.

Lawman

Established Member
At that time of morning, I would have stopped him too. And yes, he would have been cuffed.
I definitely would have called it in to the dispatcher, giving her my start/arrival times.--It establishes a time line, just in case a citizen decides to file some sort of complaint.

DEADLYSVT03

Established Member
i would have stopped and asked questions as well. i would have also called it into a dispatcher giving them my start/end times like lawman said to cover my but from getting a ccrb ( citizen complaint here in NYC ). but i would have not hand cuffed him at all.

in NY, and i am sure in other places, when you handcuff someone, they are considered in your custody. if he frisked him or searched him, and found nothing, that should have been the end of it. no need for cuffing. in many cases, i'm sure the young man can file a complaint for harrassment.

but like everyone says, there could have been more to the story.

just my .02

DEADLYSVT03

Established Member
another thing she can possibly do, and if she finds a good lawyer, she can most likely get away with suing the dept for a false arrest. i mean lets face it. the kid was handcuffed for no APARENT reason. no weapons or drugs, the officer should have got in his car and left

and if the cop was that suspicous of him, he should have driven away but watched him from a distance.

Mac25

Established Member
deadlycobra03 said:
another thing she can possibly do, and if she finds a good lawyer, she can most likely get away with suing the dept for a false arrest. i mean lets face it. the kid was handcuffed for no APARENT reason. no weapons or drugs, the officer should have got in his car and left

and if the cop was that suspicous of him, he should have driven away but watched him from a distance.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wait, I think this guy is actually serious......:poke:

Your best bet, if you haven't already, as stated above contact the local P.D. and ask to speak to the officer/Sgt. involved. This is the correct way to handle the situation.

Last edited:

DEADLYSVT03

Established Member
i love it how you think you need to " make fun "

let me tell you this, how about you come up to new york, stop a kid, ask him to search/frisk, find nothing, then put him in handcufss, and in the back of the patrol car and see what happens to you.

in ny, when u just stop somebody, and ask a question like that, you have to fill out a UF250 which is a stop question and frisk report, just to cover your own a**. So stop criticizing about someone and what they have to do since ur from a different state, NY does things a lot different than Florida

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
deadlycobra03 said:
i love it how you think you need to " make fun "

let me tell you this, how about you come up to new york, stop a kid, ask him to search/frisk, find nothing, then put him in handcufss, and in the back of the patrol car and see what happens to you.

in ny, when u just stop somebody, and ask a question like that, you have to fill out a UF250 which is a stop question and frisk report, just to cover your own a**. So stop criticizing about someone and what they have to do since ur from a different state, NY does things a lot different than Florida

Please read your PM!!

How long have you been on the job? My one cousin just retired from ESU truck #2 and my other cousin is an NYPD LT.

jimljr145

Jimljr145
Established Member
In my department, I am not permitted to transport someone without cuffing them, regardless if the are under 18. I myself have seen enough videos of cops getting shot through "the cage" to not really care if mom gets upset. Maybe she should go pick up her good son and not let him walk down the road when it is "prime time for crime time". Of course, to me this story doesn't sound complete, but we never really hear the whole story, do we???

DEFYANT

Adm!nistrate This.....
Established Member
I'd like to know why the P/O was there? Was he called in for a suspicious persons call? Maybe junior was looking into some car windows on his way home. Kids do that. Not meaning he's up to no good - just looks hinky.

Yup, handcuffs are on the extream, but departmental policy may indicate anytime you transport anyone, they must be in custody.

+1 "on the good kid who hasn't been caught yet" theroy. Sometimes a little ride home in a squad car like this can resonate with a young guy and keep him on the straight and narrow.

Users who are viewing this thread