L.E.O.s Only Please

onesticker

GO GATORS
Established Member
I need help with an "urban legend" that is being disputed between two friends of mine. I told them about you guys on here and thought that you may be able to settle this for them.

If a person receives a moving violation that results in points and a fine, he can he send more than the required amount (ie $100 for a $95 fine) to the Clerk of Courts (via USPS) at which point the person should receive a refund check for the balance. It is being disputed that at the time the Clerk of Courts receives the check, the fine is considered paid however, if the person does not cash the refund check, no points will be issued.

I think it's all of a bunch of B.S. but, I am tired of hearing these guys argue about it and I do not know any L.E.O.s to ask in person. Any help you guys can provide is much appreciated. Thanks.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
B.S.

If you do that, the Clerk of Courts will send you the balance of the fine. They will notify the courts that your ticket was paid so that when your turn comes up at your inital apperance (Traffic Violation)and you don't show, they can write down a no Contest Plea. The no contest plea means, "I didn't do it, but Ill take the punishment" and the punishment is almost always the bond amount, and the points.

Keeping the check does nothing but keep money from yourself. All our of our checks have a nice big stamp on them that say, "NOT VAILD AFTER 90 DAYS FROM ISSUANCE". So, if you hold onto it for more than 90 days, what ever you overpaid on purpose just became a dotation to the state.

Last edited:

GH1086

Established Member
Lawfficer said:
B.S.

If you do that, the Clerk of Courts will send you the balance of the fine. They will notify the courts that your ticket was paid so that when your turn comes up at your inital apperance (Traffic Violation)and you don't show, they can write down a no Contest Plea. The no contest plea means, "I didn't do it, but Ill take the punishment" and the punishment is almost always the bond amount, and the points.

Keeping the check does nothing but keep money from yourself. All our of our checks have a nice big stamp on them that say, "NOT VAILD AFTER 90 DAYS FROM ISSUANCE". So, if you hold onto it for more than 90 days, what ever you just overpaid on purpose just became a dotation to the state.

Exactly, all you are doing is giving more money to the state. And Lawfficer, I love the new sig.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
Go Ahead.... I wouldn't answer on a public message board that anyone can read if I wanted to keep it private.

onesticker

GO GATORS
Established Member
I appreciate your quick responses. Thank you for the link to snopes.com. This will put closure on the argument very quickly. At least, I hope it does.

Users who are viewing this thread