KR Hood Lock Install

MichaelFreedman

Established Member
Does anyone have any idea how big the hole saw needs to be to cut the bumps out of the core support to install the KR hood locks? No way to drill a pilot hole, anyone have problems? Anyone have any pointers?

Mike

BilletProShop

Established Member
just measured them on my 08 KR
the hole is exactly 1.95 inch, i guess 2 inch hole saw is the one they used

Last edited:

MichaelFreedman

Established Member
Wow. Do they look like they were punched or hole sawed? I can't see how I'd get a 2" whole there without making a mess without a pilot hole. A 1 3/4" hole saw just clears the hump so it would use the hump as it's pilot. Hmmmm...

Would you possibly be able to send me a pic?

1095105_620160904682524_1033482483_n.jpg

Thanks a ton!!!!
Mike

89Saleen215

Established Member
I don't remember what I used, but I used the size that just took the "bump" out of the core support so it was flat. I created a jig using a piece of 2x4...measured, measured, and measured some more. I used the one bolt hole for the head light and the other one where the prop rod is mounted as mounting points. So I drilled those out and used like a 2 or 2 1/2" bolts (and washers) to hold it down and then drilled the 1 3/4" hole in the block for my template...after measuring a million times. There's not much room for error...so I did the smallest possible hole. The receiver plates cover it anyway. I also did some touch up paint on the cut out area too. If I can find the block I used as a template I'd throw a pic up of it.

For me, the drivers side was the more tedious one to do since there's not really a hole for the other end of the receiver plate already there. You have to do that one too...and you'll need a j-clip and bolt for it. So your hole needs to be big enough for the j-clip to slide in.

I'd be more than happy to take mine apart and take some pics and send them to you if that would help.

PM me your email if your interested.

MichaelFreedman

Established Member
Thanks for the offer. I drilled them out last night. Wish I would have made a jig as the hole saw jumped on one of the holes and made a mess.....

Mike

I don't remember what I used, but I used the size that just took the "bump" out of the core support so it was flat. I created a jig using a piece of 2x4...measured, measured, and measured some more. I used the one bolt hole for the head light and the other one where the prop rod is mounted as mounting points. So I drilled those out and used like a 2 or 2 1/2" bolts (and washers) to hold it down and then drilled the 1 3/4" hole in the block for my template...after measuring a million times. There's not much room for error...so I did the smallest possible hole. The receiver plates cover it anyway. I also did some touch up paint on the cut out area too. If I can find the block I used as a template I'd throw a pic up of it.

For me, the drivers side was the more tedious one to do since there's not really a hole for the other end of the receiver plate already there. You have to do that one too...and you'll need a j-clip and bolt for it. So your hole needs to be big enough for the j-clip to slide in.

I'd be more than happy to take mine apart and take some pics and send them to you if that would help.

PM me your email if your interested.

Users who are viewing this thread