Koshermobile was down again and almost lost the new motor

KosherCobra

Established Member
I must have the worst luck!!!!

Between the clutch, longtubes and steering shaft I figure I had this thing complete last week.

I picked up the car Thursday afternoon, car ran nice. The LT and the new H pipe make people know I'm coming!!! I was told that the oil pump was not priming to well. It took close to 4 hours to get it primed. Friday morning I started the car and just went inside to my house for 2 minutes to get ready for work, and guess what.

I go outside and hear BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG!!! I RUN TO THE CAR, ZERO OIL PRESSURE!!!!!!! I SHUT IT DOWN!!!!!! I'M ABOUT TO HAVE A TOTAL BREAKDOWN AFTER ALL THE MONEY I SPENT!!!!

I call the tow truck, I'm following the car (thinking of throwing up) looking at the site of it on a flatbed again.

Today the whole motor and K-member was out again. Checked the bearings and it looked like new. The SHM billet oil gear drive was replaced with the stock unit. (at the same time I picked up the big Moroso oil pan...... I'm so retarded and I can't stop) Motor back in the car. Primed the pump, instant pressure!!!!

Turned out that the SHM oil gear drive is just a bit off from stock. When it lost pressure the banging sound came from the chain tensioner that collapsed. We replaced the plastic ones with the metal ones from the earlier 4.6 that have a rachet that won't back off.

The oil pan now rubs against the K-member. Nothing a grinder can't fix on Monday!!!

I am so lucky that I saved the motor from a disaster. SHM is aware of what happened and we will be discussing this on Monday.

My album has updated pics, so feel free to check it out.

Mugger

Don't beat 'em, MUG 'em!
Established Member
WOW close one! Where is the link to your photo album?

Eatonup

Established Member
That experience would have made me :xpl: Thank goodness you caught it in time! :)

KosherCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Mugger
WOW close one! Where is the link to your photo album?

I forgot that this site was down and never added it in my sig. I just did it so it should be up

Last edited:

Mugger

Don't beat 'em, MUG 'em!
Established Member
It's working now. Thanks! Nice Cobra you have there....wanna trade???????????

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
Originally posted by KosherCobra
WTF is wrong is this site!!! I'm clicking on to show my sig in my post!!!!

I think your sig only shows up in one post per page.

Good luck with your Cobra.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Glad you didn't lose the engine!!! Sorry to hear about the run of badluck, hope it all turns for you!

Jerry

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Ugh, thats got to be up there with "worst nightmare". I have heard SHM is going downhill. I got billit oil pump gears and trigger wheel for my new engine, but not from SHM, hope mine do a better job.

NeedForSpeed

Established Member
damn it

I have the billet oil pump gear in my new motor as well.........

I'll have to look out for this problem?

Anyone else have any problems with SH's billet oil pump gear? Or is this a rare inncident?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by NeedForSpeed
damn it

I have the billet oil pump gear in my new motor as well.........

I'll have to look out for this problem?

Anyone else have any problems with SH's billet oil pump gear? Or is this a rare inncident?
I would guess its a rare incident, but potentially costly one for customers. I would bet if your car is holding pressure fine your set is good.

stangin

Established Member
Originally posted by KosherCobra

Turned out that the SHM oil gear drive is just a bit off from stock. When it lost pressure the banging sound came from the chain tensioner that collapsed. We replaced the plastic ones with the metal ones from the earlier 4.6 that have a rachet that won't back off.

Glad you caught it!!

I am curious, I tore my engine down and I am quite suprised (well I shouldnt be - it is ford afterall) that the timing chain tensioners mating surface is plastic.. mine at 6000 miles shows the slightest of wear.. can we really expect these things to continue - long term to funtion with the timing chain rubbing/resting against them constantly? I imagine the metal one's would wear as well, but maybe last longer.. so we can use the metal one's from earlier 4.6's?

KosherCobra

Established Member
The clearances on the pump gear on the diameter & thickness are a hair off from stock. We believe this did not cause the pump to create the vacuum seal and suck the oil from the pickup tube. I have heard that you have to sand down the face plate of the housing to make a tight seal.

I say BS to that. I heard this after the fact!!!! When my package arrived it was just the gear in shrinkwrap with a cardboard backing. No instructions or procedure. This may be a flawed part that was machined wrong. I will be in touch with Sal my sales rep at SHM on Monday.

NeedForSpeed

Established Member
My motor isn't back in the car yet, so I have no clue if mine is ok or not.

If I do have a problem, or my motor goes south due to 0 oil pressure as a result of this gear....

I will be very pissed, and probably get a lawyer.

I'm sick of getting shafted by all these vendors.

I have so many bad experiences with buying parts.

Users who are viewing this thread