Kooks headers and egr tube

Robot_trainer

Established Member
I swore to baby Jesus that if I live through this install Id never do another again. Is there a trick to installing the egr tube? Headers are loose. I cant even get it to line up with the valve which tells me it routed wrong. Anyone know the routing? Behind the hoses? Between the hoses?

Robot_trainer

Established Member
I swore to baby Jesus that if I live through this install Id never do another again. Is there a trick to installing the egr tube? Headers are loose. I cant even get it to line up with the valve which tells me it routed wrong. Anyone know the routing? Behind the hoses? Between the hoses?
Engine is jacked up. Maybe that has something to do with it

50stangpower

Established Member
Do you have your battery and battery box out? I got to mine that way but I did have to bend the tube some to make it line up

Robot_trainer

Established Member
Yeah it out. Passenger header is in cant figure out how to get the tube back into place. I took it out so I could see where the o2 sensor harness was tied to. No matter now. I quit. Im taking it to a shop to get the drivers side installed. I tried everything. Cant get it through between the k frame and trans. I lifted the engine about an inch. It wont go. I dont want to break something so as soon as they can take I'll get them to finish it off and they can do the tube.

BlowerMan

Established Member
I unbolted the steering shaft, loosened the k member bolts as far as I could, removed driver and pass side engine mount brackets, starter and used a lift bar to pick engine up as high as possible. Battery, battery box, and air intake asst needs to come out. Shove engine as far over to pass side when installing drivers side. Most lift bars are slotted to allow. Yes, you will need to tweak egr valve. Take you time, walk away if it pisses you off. Don’t get frustrated and pry and bang stuff around. Been there bud!

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Did you remove the tube completely out of the engine bay? I've always been able to remove mine and reinstall from behind the engine. What headers are you installing?

Robot_trainer

Established Member
Yeah pulled it out of the car so I could get at the 02 plug and unclip the harness.. now I cant even get the egr end screwed in. Im sure the header end will be off. They are kooks headers

fearthesnake

Established Member
Dang. After reading this thread, think Ill wait a while longer on getting Headers installed. Not an easy task at all.

BlowerMan

Established Member
Not terrible, but you have to use your head and be slow and methodical. I had to slightly tweak the egr stub on the primary tube. A bit of anti seize and I started both ends at the same time. Yes, I took the tube out as the headers were installed. You have to sort of corkscrew the tube back into position. A super long screwdriver helped to disconnect the o2s. I used a super long pair of needle nose pliers to connect the extensions supplied. Don’t even try to pull slack out of the harness and forgo the extensions.

Robot_trainer

Established Member
Not terrible, but you have to use your head and be slow and methodical. I had to slightly tweak the egr stub on the primary tube. A bit of anti seize and I started both ends at the same time. Yes, I took the tube out as the headers were installed. You have to sort of corkscrew the tube back into position. A super long screwdriver helped to disconnect the o2s. I used a super long pair of needle nose pliers to connect the extensions supplied. Don’t even try to pull slack out of the harness and forgo the extensions.
I wimped out and took it to a mustang shop. I couldnt get the the drivers side header in. Even he is having a trouble getting the tube back in. You cant really take the slack out of the harness. Its like a string on a hoody. Pull one side and the other side gets shorter

Robot_trainer

Established Member
Dang. After reading this thread, think Ill wait a while longer on getting Headers installed. Not an easy task at all.

Find a good shop to do it is my advice. It is not for the faint of heart. Im experienced and it kicked my ass
did you use the extensions?

Users who are viewing this thread