Kooks 1 7/8 mid lengths installation issue...

Dave_6

Established Member
Headers are on, K-member is in, etc. My issue is what I thought was going to be the easy part; installing the x-pipe. I just cannot get it to fit, no matter how we try it. Assembling it off the car, putting the flow tubes on the headers loosely then trying to fit the x on, nothing works. It is oh so close when trying to assemble it on the car. Is it just a super tight fit and I'm not holding my tongue right or what? Or did I just happen to get the one set that isn't made exactly right?

SCalla1384

Established Member
What exactly do you mean? Mine was annoying to do cause it kept rotating. So I think I just ended up doing the flow tubes first then the x part. Then I was able to loosen everything and kind of adjust it, then crank it down again.

The x was actually like an inch short to connecting to the factory over axle pipes but I made it work

Dave_6

Established Member
Like if I could cut just a 1/4" off the x-pipe end of one of the flow tubes, it would all slide right on. It comes much closer to fitting when assembling it on the car. Almost like one or both of the headers need to be pushed towards the frame rails just a bit.

Dave_6

Established Member
Pic of my issue for hopefully some clarification:
16837848480_fc60ab9911_o.jpg

That is from underneath of the passenger side collector. The x-pipe is assembled and loosely bolted to the driver's side header. I also have it wedged inside the frame rail so it's even farther off than that.

My catback is supposed to arrive Monday so I'm done ****ing with it till then. My only other option to try is to assemble the x, put a ratchet strap around the front part and squeeze it till it fits.

cobraboss

Established Member
The mid-pipe and x was a pain in the ass. Had to use straps and another person to install.

Dave_6

Established Member
I'm hoping the strap is gonna get it done. This was supposed to be the easy part but boy was I wrong.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
This is unfortunate to read. I've always heard how the Kooks are the easiest to install of all the brands.

50blackout

Established Member
Ive read their shorty headers are a pain, but long tubes should be ok. Hope you get this sorted out OP. We in CA can't even think about long tubes :(

JonnyW

Established Member
Dave, are you able to upload a short video clip of the fitment so I can see?

Also, have you tried my suggestion by disconnecting your catback and fitting it that way?

Dave_6

Established Member
Catback has been off the car for a week now. My new catback has already arrived so once I get home from work me and my friend are going to try it again.

evil281

Established Member
I had the same problem installing my x pipe from borla. I had to use a crow bar to basically spead the x pipe ends apart to meet up with the collectors. The x pipe was just too narrow. I am really dreading the idea of installing my MGW race spec shifter if I have to take it back off.

Dave_6

Established Member
The x-pipe is on; not fully tight but it is on finally. Now attempting to fit the cat back, which isn't easy with these multi-piece OTA pipes. Especially while laying on the garage floor under the car lol.

Repth

Established Member
The x-pipe is on; not fully tight but it is on finally. Now attempting to fit the cat back, which isn't easy with these multi-piece OTA pipes. Especially while laying on the garage floor under the car lol.

I had to jack the car up way higher than I was comfortable with to fit my OTA pipes. It's such a bitch without a lift.

Users who are viewing this thread