Koni rear shock frustration.

imeyers302

Established Member
Doing my koni install this weekend. Installed the rear shocks yesterday afternoon. I can't understand how Koni sells these and ships them with parts that need to be modified to work. Each rear shock comes with 2 cupped washers. The supplied washers would not fit past the threads on top of the shock. A call to steeda, a drill bit and some blood later they were good to go and the install went flawlessly. Had to do that for both rear shocks. Just don't get how a company like Koni can't ship the right size with the shocks. Apparently it is fairly common with Koni and not just for our cars. Just wanted to post this in case anyone else ran into the same problem. Also a quick shout out for the staff at Steeda who has helped me on more than one occasion on the phone with installs.

Last edited:

86Fbody

Established Member
That's odd, didn't have any issues with my install, they are Dutch so maybe some had a smoke break before putting the washers in your kit.

imeyers302

Established Member
Yeah. Someone was definitely smoking something only it was not tobacco. After a quick search I found that it is a common occurrence with Koni.

Famine

Established Member
As soon as I get a few more items, I'll be throwing mine on. I hope I don't have the same issue. If I do, I think I'll just throw em on the drill press and step them up to size. Small price to pay to have such great struts.

Last edited:

DaBigBone

Established Member
Installing my rears tomorrow.. Hopefully I don't have this issue

imeyers302

Established Member
Really is a minor issue. Not even an issue actually just an inconvenience. The rears are probably the easiest thing I ever installed. Did the fronts today and everything went perfect except one of the adjusters for the front is frozen. Will call Koni Monday. Supposedly its a common problem.

Users who are viewing this thread