"KONA" is offensive??

TimKonaGT500

Established Member
I went to the Ohio DMV to get tags for my 2011 Kona Blue GT500. As a birthday gift my wife and kids wanted me to get personalized plates as I have never had them before.

My choice I settled on was "KONA SVT" and thought it would be a cool tag as I get asked alot about the color. :banana:

When I went, the woman said she had to go check for alternative meanings for KONA and SVT. She came back and said that she would not give me a plate with KONA on it because of some other meanings, and I would have to check the meaning at home. :shrug: :nonono:

Best I can see is one reference (out of a dozen or so) in urban dictionary about KONA referring to being high... but that is about it. More hits for Kona Bicycles and Kona as related to Hawaii and coffee LOL :bash:

I am going to send in a written request, so hopefully I can get it. Just seems silly.

(As a footnote, I apologize if the use of the work Kona in my post, and in my user name offends anyone! LOL )

Last edited:

Planter

Banned
Just go to another office and talk to a different clerk, take a copy of your window sticker with you to show that it is to represent the color of your car.

TERMINATED97

Established Member
It's funny how states differ from each other. I use to have "FN POS" on an old dd of mine. A cop pulled me over at about 5am just to tell me my plates made his day. It would always attrack a lot of attention haha. Another guy here in Illionis has FN FAST on his turbo fox.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Just go to another office and talk to a different clerk, take a copy of your window sticker with you to show that it is to represent the color of your car.

This. You got a ****ing idiot clerk who cant tell her asshole from a hole in the ground.

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
Haha Kona is the local nickname for the main island, or as they call it, "the big island" in Hawaii. I used to live there with my relatives in the winter as a kid and not only do they not take offense to it that's the preferred way to refer to it. Thought it was so cool I named my dog Kona to boot. I would say try again, I can't see anyone else denying you on that tag. Good luck OP

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
stupid government. should be able to put whatever you want on your plate

This is a State's right issue on State and federally regulated roads. If the State says no and makes limits through law; you should NOT be able to put what you want.

Now, you may get any stupid sticker to paste on your car but the State should not support one's stupid, rude, immature, or one's profane plates. I am sure you support all of the previous listing, it is too close to home for a lot of guys.

When driving on federally regulated roads becomes a Constitutional right and supersedes the States powers we can then debate the merits of your statement. Right now it is irrelevant.

oldmodman

Established Member
KONA?

It's either a really good coffee from Hawaii or the color of a mustang. Either meaning is OK with me.

A brain is not a job requirement for working at the DMV.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
This is a State's right issue on State and federally regulated roads. If the State says no and makes limits through law; you should NOT be able to put what you want.

Now, you may get any stupid sticker to paste on your car but the State should not support one's stupid, rude, immature, or one's profane plates. I am sure you support all of the previous listing, it is too close to home for a lot of guys.

When driving on federally regulated roads becomes a Constitutional right and supersedes the States powers we can then debate the merits of your statement. Right now it is irrelevant.

Lol...Wow

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
I've seen way crazier shit get through the censors. I guess it's a matter of luck? Which is weird to me, I would hope that requests just go through a database check of the obvious words and everything else goes through. When you put humans in the loop it gets stupid quick.

Users who are viewing this thread