Know it all's, gear heads, car guys....anyone that can help with an odd question!

Established Member
Every couple of years I paint / stain my concrete driveway and garage to keep it looking new and fresh. I've always used Sherwin Williams H&C concrete stain and sealer. Great stuff if you every want to try something other than the crap they sell in hardware stores with the sprinkle on flakes that always seems to peel.

Anyway......I did it earlier today and the garage floor remained very sticky all afternoon. I started wondering if it was going to be dry by tonight so the wife and I could pull our cars in for the night without the tires sticking and peeling up the paint.

I remembered back to my younger years working construction an old man told me that if you wipe down sticky paint with water, it dries it immediately! I somehow remembered that conversation I had years ago and thought I would give it a try.

My floor was very tacky, leaving finger prints if you touched it and your shoes would stick to it if you stepped on it.......So, I got a wet towel and wiped down a small section with a few swipes and then wiped up the water with the dry end of the towel. No paint residue stuck to the towel at all.

Amazingly, the tackiness / stickyness is gone and the paint is as hard as a rock. I know this wouldn't work if I had just painted it....not that kind of wet, but the couple of hours later kind of takcky paint, this trick worked. :eek:

So....someone please tell me how in the he11 this works? It's got me baffled! (I looked all over the internet and couldn't find anything)

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
This would have been a great question to put in the Ask Jim Snover thread!

I will be awaiting his response...

Established Member
OP here.....as I was just finishing my 4th beer, staring in the garage admiring my handy work, I pondered my own question above. Here's my best guess (Coors light induced thinking!)

You know how if you have two drops of liquid next to each other and you take a toothpick or something to make them just barely touch.....and how they quickly will cling together? Well maybe that's how this works. When you wipe the wet towel across the surface, it immediatly draws all of the othe liquid molecules to the top to join the "towel water". Then, you wipe it dry and the paint is left "moistureless".

Wonder if I'm right or if I just need to have another beer and let someone who really knows answer the question?

By the way, here's what I did today. (That's the wife's Stang out in the street, just tinted, lowered and put on the 20" bullets / staggered deep dish for her this week, she loves it!)

Last edited:

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
Originally Posted by James Snover View Post
Chemistry, haven't got a clue on this one.
Jim Snover
ROTFLMAO....nice one Jim.

+2 hahahahaha

To the OP, I slept through chemistry freshmen year in college, but my guess is that the attraction of same molecules like you described above is correct. I dont know why, but I want to say covalent bonds or some shit like that. That was one hell of a trick though. Ill be sure to remember that too.

Established Member
Wow, see there? Drinking does make you smarter. If I didn't have a buzz, I would have never come up with that.

It is amazing though....sticky as can be, pulling your skin from your fingertips as you raise them. Then, just wipe with a soaking wet towel and then skim over it with a dry part and presto......DRY AS CAN BE! Pretty cool trick for anyone that needs to get sticky paint dry in a hurry!

Established Member
It *should* only work with a polar (aka water based) liquid. It *should not* work with a nonpolar (oil based liquid), the whole like disolves like principle.

Well....this is solvent based paint (not water based) so your theory is
just plain wrong.....not busting your balls, I'm just saying.....

jredwood

rainy day poster
Established Member
when paint dries it is from the top down. so the surface on top dries faster which creates a crust on the paint, so when you wipe with damp rag you soften the top which allows the remaining moisture to escape faster and the paint to settle taking the tackiness away. thats the only thing i can think of.:shrug:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, here's a question: does paint dry, or does it "cure?" Something I always wondered about.

Jim Snover

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
if my brain wasnt made of hamburger i would know the answer to this question.

sry ~ hamburger brain

Users who are viewing this thread