Knocking at WOT, in 3rd gear, above 4k RPM

ibismojo

Established Member
I'm stumped here. I've replaced my fuel filter, I replaced the hi/low fuel pump relay. The weather was 55F out, my tune is stock (I had a Ford dealership check to make sure it was). My pulley's are stock. My intake and exhaust are stock. Everytime I get past 4K RPM in 3rd gear, there's knocking. On warmer days, there will be knocking at the very top of 2nd gear. I had my truck dyno'ed 5 months ago and the tail pipe AFR reading was 12.78. The truck made 363 hp, 422 tq. Weather was 74F. And that was before I changed the fuel filter.

What am I missing here? The knocking went away when I dumped some 100 octane into the tank for a 94 octane mixture. It can't be just crappy gas, I thought these trucks were tuned rich for 91? :??:

castellscl

Established Member
The cheapest gas price in town isn't always the best price for you pocket book in the long run.

Try a new gas station.

ibismojo

Established Member
I usually fill up with Shell. I've tried a couple different gas stations with the same result (Mobil, Chevron, 76). I'll check the intercooler.

Is there a way to check to see if the injectors are clogged? I've ran a bottle of gumout through it but still no dice.

13 Z

Spandex is a right
Established Member
Check to make sure the noise isn't coming from your S/C. My eaton started making funky noises. Come to find out it was getting ready to die on me.

ibismojo

Established Member
Intercooler's working.

I took it to DMP and it read 12* when it started pinging. Sucks. At this point, it's seems like crappy CA gas is the culprit. Guess I'll just keep it under 4k until I get a tune.

Thanks to DMP for their help though.

Users who are viewing this thread