Knock Retard

D-Con

...Rather have a Buick?
Established Member
Don't the Termintors have knock-retard based on the knock sensors? When I read about people hearing knock with their car, or other detonation problems I wonder why there isn't KR by the computer?

BTW I'm a newb with Fords and just familliar with the GM stuff.

D-Con

...Rather have a Buick?
Established Member
aha, I read the code in the directions for my Predator. It must be a generic glossary.

Seems sorta dumb not to have a knock sensor in a supercharged car..:dw:

Even the SC 3800 cars have them. :shrug:

Juruense

Banned
I believe the technical reason is that knock sensors use acoustics and the s/c engine has too much ambient noise for them to work or something like that.

Truth probably is that Ford cheaped out and then made the stock tune pig rich to be safe.

dredg9

Established Member
yeah i thought it was kind of weird when i first heard that they didnt have them. It would be nice if they did for added protective. I have them on my regal and it is nice to know how far i can push my setup, how much timing i can run,etc. without knock.

D-Con

...Rather have a Buick?
Established Member
The story goes that the supercharger was too noisy for the knock sensors to function correctly.

Gotta be a story, the SC 3800 is an eaton on a v-6 bolted to a transaxle. That almost has to be noisier than a terminator.

Damn, here I am my newest car ever and first Ford; already back to criticising Ford's "better idea" :wf: :uh oh:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
"Quality is Job 1"

Do you know about the oil pressure gauge yet? That's another good story.

slo-poc

SKYNET 03
Established Member
I thought the car pulls timing at certain intake temps...iat's 1 or 2's can't remember what i was told....

just asking if there is any truth to this???

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Yes as IAT2's climb over 100 degrees, the PCU starts to pull timing, slowly at first but much more aggressively as it nears 150 degrees. This can be manipulated by the person that tunes the car though.

TrickStang37

Established Member
Don't the Termintors have knock-retard based on the knock sensors? When I read about people hearing knock with their car, or other detonation problems I wonder why there isn't KR by the computer?

BTW I'm a newb with Fords and just familliar with the GM stuff.

i remember in my brothers 383 built LT1 9c1 (impala clone) we dumbed down the knock sensor with resistors because the sound of the exhaust from the cam was enough to set it off and kill timing.

slo-poc

SKYNET 03
Established Member
Yes as IAT2's climb over 100 degrees, the PCU starts to pull timing, slowly at first but much more aggressively as it nears 150 degrees. This can be manipulated by the person that tunes the car though.

Thank you.....

TriPodRacing

U MAD?
Established Member
The Cobra and Lightning both have knock sensors.

They are turned off in the stock tune for noise as stated by everyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread