King Cobra Clutch?

JohnsMyName

Established Member
My throwout bearing is long over due. I am replacing everything. Does anyone have any comments on the King Cobra kit? I have searched the day lights out of it and gotten mixed results. I am running a mainly stock car, mods in my sig. I plan on a n/a car for the future with some added bolt on's. Does anyone have an opinion of this, over the 03-04 kit? I don't want to buy a new flywheel if I don't have to. I have heard that the King Cobra does'nt hold up being an organic surface etc. Does this matter with a 300hp car? What do you guys think?

Mike93SVT

Savior of Junk
Established Member
definately plan ahead when getting a clutch. and i always like to get a little overkill on the rating of it versus what i'm gonna make for power. i'd rather have a clutch that won't have any problem holding up, rather than one that could fail if i make a little more power.

i had a king cobra in one of my old fox bodies and didn't have any complaints. i'd just consider it a stock replacement. it's not special in any way, but i wouldn't trust it to much abuse, especially track use over any amount of time.

i'd recommend a spec 3+ for you. you can just re-surface your flywheel as well. it's like 40 bucks. the 3+ is overkill. but this is why i'd recommend it.

a state 2 would probably do just fine. but what if you decide to put a shot of spray on it next year, or even a blower? you'd be pushing the holding limits of it.

and stage 3's tend to chatter a lot. i had one and hated it. had to take off at 3/4 throttle everytime i stopped to avoid it. the 3+ gets rid of that problem and will hold up to whatever your stock bottom end can throw at it. you can rely on it and abuse it to some extent without worrying about it.

1badsvtcobra

Established Member
Resurface flywheel, & get a Centerforce dual friction. The centerforce clutch holds up to 90% more gripping power than stock, it has a nice like stock clutch pedal feel. + you don't need to get a 11" flywheel, like you would have to if you get an 03/04 cobra clutch.
Spec + 2 stages are good clutch's, but to my opinion on some cons are clutch pedal is way too stiff, it behaves more like an on & off switch.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
i think the king cobra would serve you well. I had one in my Cobra and my GT before that, and loved it. Great pedal feel and awesome grip. plenty of 6000+ launches on it and it held up great and didnt miss a beat...

CobraBen98

GO SPURS GO!
Established Member
I think you'll def keep getting mixed opinions on clutches. I went with a McLeod kevlar clutch, rated at 500 hp, although I'll prob never have that much hp to deal with anytime soon. Like the first reply you got, I agree with overkill so a slipping clutch will never be a problem. I ordered a new steel flywheel instead of resurfacing and a new pressure plate. I think for all, I didn't pay more than $250 or so, if that much. Plus when that's all off, that's a great time to do the rear main seal, even if it's not leaking right now. And don't forget the pilot bearing and throwout bearing.

Good luck:thumbsup:

John4cam

Established Member
I have a King Cobra in my cobra, If I were to do it again I would have went with the centerforce DF.

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
I put one in last year when I did my new motor. A year and almost 15k miles later its on its way out.. But I had a ton of 5000+ launches on a DR on it. Not to mention everything else I do to this poor car. Im about to put another one in. The pedal feel is awesome..lighter than stock. Everyone always asks me if I did a hydro clutch in it...

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
King Cobra is a good clutch for the $$

If you go spec, no need to go over 2+ and even that is overkill.

Centerforce DF is also a good choice for most people. I had several. Although the last 2 came apart on me at the track so I replaced with Spec stage 2+

But I abused the crap out of my car. lol

uofipilot

Established Member
I put a King Cobra in mine shortly after I bought the car. I thought the stock clutch was shot because it released really high and it was slipping just a bit on heavy loads. I put in the KC, and the pedal feel is great and it grips great, but it still releases really high. I think the quadrant is shot, so I would recommend looking at that when you change the clutch. For a bolt on car, the KC is great for the money. I wold definitely get another one.

Mike93SVT

Savior of Junk
Established Member
I have a King Cobra in my cobra, If I were to do it again I would have went with the centerforce DF.

i didn't even think of the d/f. i had one in my blown 95 and didn't have any complaints. felt good and held the power on the street. i never took it to the track though. probably would work good as well

wtsn8ke

Established Member
King Cobra would be a good choice. My only complaint is the TO bearing. I would get a Timken TO bearing. My KC kit TO bearing is noisy at 15k.

My94GT

Established Member
im running a fidanza 4.3 while i dont feel you need that much of a clutch i noticed their prices to be fair and the quality has served me well

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
i run a king cobra clutch. deff. a great clutch, it does its job and feels great when pushing the clutch in

Users who are viewing this thread