kinda a noob ? but honest

chargedcobra03

Living my life
Established Member
does anyone have pics of exactly where to jack and put jack stands on a 99-04 cobra? i know you are not suppose to jack the pumpkin of course but what is the easiest way to jack the car and safely secure it. i always use a four point hoist at the local hobby shop but i would like to work in my driveway sometimes. thanks :beer:

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
If you have subframe connectors jack it up there. If you do not there is a spot before the rear tire.... It is hard to explain I will try to find a pic.

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
There's a spot right behind the muffler bearings... you'll see it

LOL. Shouldn't there something about it in your owner's manual? Just find a spot on the frame just behind the front wheels and a little ahead of the rear wheels. Simple. Have you never jacked up your car before?

Juruense

Banned
Courtesy of the Bullitt Archive:

image001.jpg

I jack on the pumpkin with the Cobra, pretty much no choice in the rear.

The Bullitt Archive explains why it is a bad idea with solid axle: http://www.bullittarchive.com/1019.htm

Jack it on the pumpkin and get jackstands under it ASAP to take the stress off the pumkpin once it is up that is what I do. No leaks so far.

Last edited:

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
It is very important to jack up the car using the correct jacking points to avoid damaging the undercarriage. Here are the proper jacking points.

Steeda sells a neat set of jacking rails which give a more solid lifting point. Click thumbnails to enlarge.

You can also install a good quality set of full-length (NOT mid-length) side rails. If you choose to go with the side rails be sure to put the jack squarely under the rail to avoid damaging the undercarriage.

chargedcobra03

Living my life
Established Member

image001.jpg

The Bullitt Archive explains why it is a bad idea with solid axle: http://www.bullittarchive.com/1019.htm

Jack it on the pumpkin and get jackstands under it ASAP to take the stress off the pumkpin once it is up that is what I do. No leaks so far.

thanks that is what i was looking for... :beer: i dont know about the pumpkin though

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
Word of advice, after the car is on jackstands shake the living hell of it and I always leave the jack under the rear even though it's on stands.

chargedcobra03

Living my life
Established Member
There's a spot right behind the muffler bearings... you'll see it

i thought it was next to the turn signal fluid holder... ass :nonono:
just looking for more info than what i had.
it is funny if you ask a question you always get someone replying with something stupid.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member

image001.jpg

Really? I've never heard of not jacking up on the pumpkin, I say thats where I always jack the car up on and then either place the stands on the axle or on the body where it shows on the picture. Good info to know.

chargedcobra03

Living my life
Established Member
LOL. Shouldn't there something about it in your owner's manual? Just find a spot on the frame just behind the front wheels and a little ahead of the rear wheels. Simple. Have you never jacked up your car before?

yeah but didn't know if there was somewhere else besides behind the front and in front of the rear tires.

chargedcobra03

Living my life
Established Member
Really? I've never heard of not jacking up on the pumpkin, I say thats where I always jack the car up on and then either place the stands on the axle or on the body where it shows on the picture. Good info to know.

never heard of the pumpkin being a problem on a SRA but on an IRS i heard many problem occurring

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
Well from reading that, it says theres about 1 degree of negative camber built into the rear axle, jacking from the pumpkin puts stress on the rear axle possible messing with that negative camber built in

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
BE CAREFUL JACKING ON SUBFRAMES!!!

At least when jacking on the front end... My car has tittered (SP) while I was under it...

And as someone already stated; shake the living hell out of it before you crawl under it.
My buddy had a guy on his pit crew that has brain damage because his cars tire came down on the side of his head.

yellowgt02

Established Member
Even when using a hoist, before working on it I make sure the weight is even (so the car wont tip forward) and I give it a little shake when its 2-3 feet off the ground to make sure its stable.

Users who are viewing this thread