And this is pretty cool too

[youtube_browser]Jxv2hOlFav4&feature=related[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Lots of high-po big rigs out there.

Some are pushing 8-10k horsepower estimated. Its amazing what a 12+ liter diesel can do!

I remember a show called "kings of the road" that had the land speed holder on there, had 4 turbos and 2 supers.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Wonder that kind of power that thing makes?

Edit: "Truck pulls are not normally high-speed affairs, but the Killer throws that right out the window. This thing is just flat nasty. It’s powered by a 998ci Mack E-9 V8 engine that has been configured with dual and quad turbos. We’ll put it to you like this. On the weak suck tune, it’s making about 3,000 hp."

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
america, **** yea!!! that is one bad truck right there! unfortunately we only have the single turbo pro stock class around here, because there really aren't many super modified semis in the whole country. here are some shots of the mack's engine...

DSC09377.jpg

DSC09379.jpg

yes, duel compound turbos! mack E9 16.4l V8, there is a metric shit ton of cash in that engine!

this is the baddest truck around here(like i mentioned, single turbo pro stock mind you)...

[youtube_browser]dhiduxNdzv0[/youtube_browser]

0904dp_01_z+19_0l_super_cummins_engine+side_angle.jpg

19.0l(1150cu in) cummins I6, and they rev it to 4000RPMs on stock internals!!! 2100HP, a bit over 4000lb-ft torque. and this little pro stock engine cost $70k!

Lots of high-po big rigs out there.

Some are pushing 8-10k horsepower estimated. Its amazing what a 12+ liter diesel can do!

I remember a show called "kings of the road" that had the land speed holder on there, had 4 turbos and 2 supers.
lb-ft of torque maybe, that mack is making ~4500HP on a very good day.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member

Truth is, they have no way of telling. They can estimate based on the amount of fuel being injected. But like a top fuel car, they have no way to actually measure it.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Truth is, they have no way of telling. They can estimate based on the amount of fuel being injected. But like a top fuel car, they have no way to actually measure it.
they do actually have dynos that can read that high, but if they didn't does that mean we should just go with the highest estimate? seriously dude, c'mon.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
they do actually have dynos that can read that high, but if they didn't does that mean we should just go with the highest estimate? seriously dude, c'mon.

pics or it didnt happen. I havent heard of dynos capable of reading that high.

I'm always glad to be incorrect in subjects like this! :beer:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
oops, i mispoke. they don't necessarily have dynos that read that high, but the capability is there. no pics or anything, but a dyno is just a calculator. there isn't really a hardware limitation, it's just that(from mah advanced in depth techincal knowledge of the subject - NOT) they haven't set up the software to produce numbers that high. there really isn't a reason to, no one really needs a dyno to read that high. it's like top fuel engines, it would cost a metric shit ton of cash to dyno them, simply because they would have to be rebuilt afterwards(just like after a run).

correction - was semi-wrong about the top fueler dynos. they do actually have a dyno for testing top fuel engines, the original was built by dale armstrong when he was kenny bernstiens crew chief. it's now used by BME with alcohol engines to develop their superchargers.

ccrp_1009_09_o+8000hp_top_fuel_engine+working_on_supercharger.jpg

^^^top fuel engine on said dyno

more about top fuel engines(and the source of the pic) here...
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1009_8000hp_top_fuel_engine/viewall.html

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Thats one hell of an "absorber"!!

You're right they have no reason to measure the HP as they are more concerned with actual track performance. I stand corrected though!

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
america, **** yea!!!

0904dp_01_z+19_0l_super_cummins_engine+side_angle.jpg

19.0l(1150cu in) cummins I6, and they rev it to 4000RPMs on stock internals!!! 2100HP, a bit over 4000lb-ft torque. and this little pro stock engine cost $70k!

Glad to see Cummins made an appearance in this thread. And I can attest to the durability of those engines. We beat the living hell out of them here intentionally, and they gladly take it. Needless to say a gas engine, and even many built engines would never survive the test cell cycles some of these engines go through on a daily basis.

And talk about over-fueling! That's one of the beauties of diesel, no need to worry about stoich as much as gas. None of that MAF or throttle nonsense (until 2013). Want more power? Dump more air and fuel in it.

I still think that people are missing out on the potential of diesel in smaller automotive applications. You can pull well over 1000hp from an ISB 6.7 without trying too hard. If you would make use of the QSB 3.3 (all mechanical!) and 4.5 you could likely put down some serious numbers with a smaller engine. Not to mention the as of yet commercially unavailable LDD line.

Users who are viewing this thread