Killer chiller reliability

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Does it work well enough to justify adding another system to the car? Does it work better than addressing the supercharger coolant system itself? I think the answer is far from a certain yes.

I had my lightning at the 1/8 mile track on a warm evening (magnum powers, 6lb lower) and ran 4 passes back to back to back to back and ran less than .05 different (3rd pass was quickest I ever made with the truck). I would turn on the AC when I hit the return road, grab my slip, park off to the side for ~5 minutes then back to the line. IATs stayed below 140 the whole time, no dumping water and adding ice or anything else, show me another system thatll do that.

obviously use plays a big role in that decision but Im not trying to set records I just wanted to hit the track and have a good time racing without worrying about IATs. Loading up on ice and draining water after every pass isnt my idea of a good time. I would make 12-15 passed on a given evening

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Does it work well enough to justify adding another system to the car? Does it work better than addressing the supercharger coolant system itself? I think the answer is far from a certain yes.
Very good points. I personally would not buy the universal kit unless they were tested in the same vehicle(with nearly the same mods) in the same climate by a few people. If that hasnt been done, it would not buy one. It's too expensive and far too time consuming to find out it may not work for yourself.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Upgrade the heat exchanger and pump before installing a band-aid of dubious benefit.

Dubious benefits? LOL I haven't upgraded my exchanger or my pump, and the Killer Chiller works fantastically on my car. My car is Whipple'd.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I had my lightning at the 1/8 mile track on a warm evening (magnum powers, 6lb lower) and ran 4 passes back to back to back to back and ran less than .05 different (3rd pass was quickest I ever made with the truck). I would turn on the AC when I hit the return road, grab my slip, park off to the side for ~5 minutes then back to the line. IATs stayed below 140 the whole time, no dumping water and adding ice or anything else, show me another system thatll do that.

obviously use plays a big role in that decision but Im not trying to set records I just wanted to hit the track and have a good time racing without worrying about IATs. Loading up on ice and draining water after every pass isnt my idea of a good time. I would make 12-15 passed on a given evening

I am glad that it worked for you and your application. I do think that more is known about addressing the intercooler coolant system and that parts are available now to address it. When those fixes are added, they work all the time and with less complexity added. Simpler is always better in my book.

MG0h3

Established Member
While the latest thread with the stand alone system is a mess, the only hangup was communication with the owner and missed delivery quotes

I haven't installed mine because I wonder if all the work is worth it when I rarely drive my car past about April and start again in October.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
If using an AC system to cool water was the best and most effective way of lowering temps for track duty, then race cars would be using it. But they use big trunk tanks and bags of ice. That tells me all I need to know.

For street use, the Killer Chiller system will obviously be more effective since you aren't going to be constantly pulling over and refilling with ice.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I missed the dubious benefits remark.

On proven systems like the Lightning, it's far superior than any other thing on the market. Same for any vehicle that it works as it's designed to. The only other vehicle i've read about that it works is the terminator. I dont go in other sections much.

A killer chiller isnt a band aid. You do not fix a problem with it. Your vehicle should be set up and tuned conservative enough not to need below ambient IC fluid to function as you need it to. You dont add boost nor timing like some do with meth injection. It's cools the IC fluid below ambient. Nothing else does that besides ice. In testing(on a gen 2 L), it's superior to upgrading an IC pump, lines, IC, IC resi or heat exchanger. That includes all those at once. The fluid will sure get cooler faster but never below ambient. Is it perfect? No. It does cause negative effects else where.

Last edited:

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
A killer chiller isnt a band aid. You do not fix a problem with it. Your vehicle should be set up and tuned conservative enough not to need below ambient IC fluid to function as you need it to. You dont add boost nor timing like some do with meth injection. It's cools the IC fluid below ambient. Nothing else does that besides ice. In testing(on a gen 2 L), it's superior to upgrading an IC pump, lines, IC, IC resi or heat exchanger. That includes all those at once. The fluid will sure get cooler faster but never below ambient. Is it perfect? No. It does cause negative effects else where.

Given what just came out in the recent KC thread, the claim that it is better than upgrading the intercooler system is suspect. In fact, that OP found the opposite.

MG0h3

Established Member
Given what just came out in the recent KC thread, the claim that it is better than upgrading the intercooler system is suspect. In fact, that OP found the opposite.

You do know that was a prototype stand alone system right?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
You do know that was a prototype stand alone system right?

Which should have been more effective, right? The tech data provided before the sale appears to have been basically fabricated. That does not lend great confidence on any data he generated for any other system he sells.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
This thread is not about that system.
Which should have been more effective, right?
No one knows if it's right or wrong, good or bad. Which is exactly why I said until a KC kit is proven in said vehicle(in this case the caddy) with nearly the same mods, it should not be trusted.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Which should have been more effective, right? The tech data provided before the sale appears to have been basically fabricated. That does not lend great confidence on any data he generated for any other system he sells.

No the stand alone system is far weaker than any belt driven compressor system.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
No the stand alone system is far weaker than any belt driven compressor system.

Killer Chiller Said: "He also stated that even if you did back-to-back quarter miles passes, the intercooler fluid would be “ice cold” by the time you circled back around to make the next pass)."

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
That makes no sense, this was marketed as being good enough for road course use.

Killer Chiller Said: "He also stated that even if you did back-to-back quarter miles passes, the intercooler fluid would be “ice cold” by the time you circled back around to make the next pass)."

Obviously lots of lies and deceit involved with the standalone system. That's why I would steer clear altogether. The original system based off the car's belt driven compressor seems to work well though.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Obviously lots of lies and deceit involved with the standalone system. That's why I would steer clear altogether. The original system based off the car's belt driven compressor seems to work well though.

It would be interesting to see what iat's were at the end of the strip comparing a VMP triple pass/upgraded lines and pump versus KC, by an unbiased unconnected 3rd party.

If guys do a little searching now, they at least have information and can decide if they wish to do business with KC or not.

96lazervert

Established Member
I already have an upgraded pump, hx, and icebox on my ctsv. It doesn't do shit for heat soak. Period. Iats are still too high above ambient

Users who are viewing this thread